Location! Location! Location!

For poking fun and off topic subjects
FredC

Location! Location! Location!

Post by FredC »

I Know that is a real estate saying. In the real world it means something also.
In California a hurricane/tropical storm is a life-threatening emergency. Here it is something we pray for. 3 inches of rain- a drop in the bucket, give us more! 10 inches we will take it as long as it is spread out over several hours. 20 inches spread over a couple of days bring it on!
We can get too much sometimes, 20 inches in one night will flood some roads with a cut off of traveling for a couple of hours. Maybe some low-lying houses built wear they should not have been built will flood.
54 inches in 48 hours was TOO much, we saw that in 1978 when a tropical storm parked just north of us for 2 days. We had to evacuate the apartment for the night as we lived about a half mile from the Guadalupe River. That time the river did not even get close to the apartments, it was just a precaution.

An ideal hurricane/ tropical storm will come in about 75 miles south of Corpus Christi on the King Ranch and curve north towards San Antonio and not move too fast or too slow. When Harvey came in, we got 4 inches of gentle soaking rain with the eye exactly 50 miles south of us. We would have gladly taken another 8 inches of that especially if it would have spared east Texas of that mess that Harvey wrecked over there.

Watching this tropical storm Harold and it looks like we are going to miss out on most of the rain (it is too far south), I did see some lightning this morning towards Corpus Christi, I hope they do not miss out and get on some of the rain.

We live in a different world than California, Dick we hope you are OK.
Last edited by FredC on Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dick Hosmer

Re: Location! Location! Location!

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Thanks, I'm good. Live in the upper, agricultural, conservative, part of the state. We're right next to the Sacramento River, but with good levees, in a rice-growing area. My daughter and her family live in the wine country, where fire is always a danger; they were really lucky in 2017. This is shaping up to be another worrisome fire year but nothing major going yet.

butlersrangers

Re: Location! Location! Location!

Post by butlersrangers »

I hope the weather is beneficial to all.

In Michigan, we had a bit of drought in the Spring. Parts of Northern Michigan were tinder dry with some forest fires.
Eventually, generous amounts of Summer rain came.
Our lakes and rivers are high.

The corn is mighty tall on the farms around us, hopefully, the ears have great food value.

It has been great sleeping weather and nice for the Boaters & 'Beach-Goers'.
The grass is growing like mad , but, I've hardly noticed a mosquito!

Lots of blue sky, but we still get occasional overcast days, (that may be related to Western Canada fires).

Thursday is being forecast as a 'cooker' for us, "in the 90's, but will feel like 100".

After the tragedy in Maui, I'm not inclined to complain about a hot day.