My Bannerman Krag

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
waterman

My Bannerman Krag

Post by waterman »

1896 Krag 02-r.JPG
1896 Krag 02-r.JPG (250.27 KiB) Viewed 9930 times
You asked about my Bannerman Krag with what I think is a machine gun barrel. I bought this thing in a Chinese pawn shop on King Street in Honolulu in 1962. It was then very rough, but had very shallow scratchings of a bear and a deer on the stock and some sort of military grasping grooves in the usual place. There was no magazine well, so the stock must have been purpose-built for a Krag. Butt plate was military, but without any openings.

The barrel was never drilled & tapped for any sort of military barrel sight. Just in front of the action ring, there is a turned-down section about 1.25" long, as if the breech end of the barrel was fatter and had to be turned down and then threaded to fit a Krag action. Seems to be a steady taper until it comes to a place turned down for the front sight band. I think the front sight is from an '03 Springfield. The "original" barrel band was stamped out and held in place by what looked to be a nail with the head & point cut off. The "no drill" rear sight was already in place.

In the late 1990s, my best friend, a retired Navy Chief Machinist's Mate, said he was tired of looking at that ugly *** Krag and insisted I give it to him. Two months later, I got it back looking like this, along with some strong language about the barrel and chamber. Apparently, the chamber reamer was not quite in line with the bore when the barrel was chambered. The rifle was & is reasonably accurate, but has always been hard on brass. I've never had a case last for 4 reloads.

I didn't know any more about the Krag until I saw some photos of a custom Krag on Mike Petrov's site on the Doublegun Forums. The Krag in Mike's photos was reported as having been made from a Bannerman blank. Color & grain patterns were identical to this one.
Attachments
1896 Krag 06-r.JPG
1896 Krag 06-r.JPG (560.82 KiB) Viewed 9930 times
1896 Krag 07-r.JPG
1896 Krag 07-r.JPG (431.58 KiB) Viewed 9930 times
1896 Krag 08-r.JPG
1896 Krag 08-r.JPG (552.33 KiB) Viewed 9930 times
1896 Krag 03-r.JPG
1896 Krag 03-r.JPG (363.05 KiB) Viewed 9930 times

butlersrangers

Re: My Bannerman Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

Neat looking "model 1896 sporter", Waterman! Your friend did a nice job making the Old Girl look respectable.

I like the Pacific K-2 "peep" sight and the very discrete barrel-band.

It would be interesting to see a 'once-fired' cartridge case, to get a 'handle' on the chamber glitch.

FredC

Re: My Bannerman Krag

Post by FredC »

I really like that sporter stock, if it is like mine the cheek piece makes it fast on sight. Sometimes a 1/10 of a second makes a difference.