Membership / introduction

For poking fun and off topic subjects
RickyG

Membership / introduction

Post by RickyG »

How does someone join this exclusive krag member group?

May be a late introduction as I sorta just jumped in to this pond cannonball style however. I'm in Arizona, recently retired from sworn duty as a peace officer due to line of duty injury and am now a firearms instructor for a local police department. I served as a machine gunner in the Marines, have 12 grandchildren, 13th on the way, am addicted to old military firearms especially US (Vietnam and prior) and German (between war 1 and 2 mostly) and like most here think the krag to be the finest bolt created, I wish the lug would handle 308 pressures.

I love talking guns and such and anyone needing anything is welcome to contact me.

FredC

Re: Membership / introduction

Post by FredC »

HMMM! I already counted you as a member of this club. Looks like you are full fledged with the purchase of that interesting sporter.

Law enforcement in Az. HMMM! Do they still tell stories about Harry Aiken? Not sure if I got the spelling right. He grew up with my dad in the Prescott/Chino Valley area. He started out in the Arizona Border Patrol and transferred later to the US Border Patrol. My parents talked about seeing him on TV in the late 50s demonstrating quick draw techniques.
He was also an instructor. I remember the tale of him telling recruits that just because you are holding a gun on someone do not think they could draw on you and kill you before you could pull the trigger. He picked the recruit that laughed the loudest and demonstrated with 2 revolvers loaded with blanks. The recruit was told to pull the trigger at Harry's slightest movement or even a blink of the eye. Harry got off 3 shots before the recruit could pull the trigger once.

Remembering back besides the recent purchase you already have a Krag carbine. You are a solid member of this club. That 40K limit is really not all that bad, for taking large game at reasonable distances. I think moose have been taken up north with Krags. I wanted something besides 30 caliber and a bit heavy for large pigs and built a 35/40. Velocity with safe loads is about 1/2 between 35 Remington and 35/08. Not a bad neighborhood really.

I remember another one of my dad's friends hunting antelope with my dad's first 1917. he took a shot at one that he guessed was 800 yards away. He was really impressed that the bullet struck so close (between the antelope's legs) and bragged on the accuracy. My dad gave him that 1917 and bought another. A Krag with original sights could be good out to 400 yards with some practice and with a good range finder.

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

I generally use 308 here due to distances but as I will be trying to pass on hunting skills and not necessarily long range stuff for deer I don't mind dropping down in caliber. Im more interested in starting with glassing, tracking, hunting skills and patience with her starting. Ill likely take my stock carbine that way I can back her up in the event of a miss.

3040 is definitely a capable round just not at some of my distances.

Currently I have an 1896 rifle (needs new stock) 1898 rifle I have been restoring in another thread, 1898 sporter with butterknife bolt (a friend wants it and I will likely pass it on) and now Mr Carpenter's sporter for my granddaughter.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I'd never join an "EXCLUSIVE CLUB", that would have me as a member ... Show us some feet!

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

No feet lol

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The KCA Feet Club... We all join that one eventually!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ricky, if you're here on this forum posting... you're a member!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Meet the Feet! ... The KCA Foot Club just kind of happens.

Official Motto: "Better the Foot Club than a Clubbed Foot".
Attachments
meet the feet.jpg
meet the feet.jpg (589.36 KiB) Viewed 829 times

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

RickyG wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:23 pm How does someone join this exclusive krag member group?
You showed up? Yes?? That's good enough for us.

Yes The KCA Foot Club rules.
Attachments
I'd walk a mile for ammo 2.jpg
I'd walk a mile for ammo 2.jpg (596.98 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Next time Culpeper, use .30-40 ammo!
Attachments
model-1892.jpg
model-1892.jpg (769.57 KiB) Viewed 810 times