Brass Muzzle Cover

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Brass Muzzle Cover

Post by Whig »

The price these things are getting still shock me! Add postage and tax and you're over $140. Whew! Glad I have enough in my collection. They are neat little Krag accoutrements though. I guess I won't be buying anymore from ebay, at least!
Attachments
cover.jpg
cover.jpg (197.31 KiB) Viewed 2473 times

P0H0

Re: Brass Muzzle Cover

Post by P0H0 »

IMG_1062.jpeg
IMG_1062.jpeg (28.55 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
An alternative: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1085290

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

At the sale price, the replica muzzle-cover/sight-protector is a good substitute for use in the 'field'.

I don't think they are as nicely formed as the originals and the steel pin appears to have been replaced with a copper pin on the reproduction ones.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Yes, a neat little piece. Like Whig, I acquired a few over the years - not enough for EVERY rifle, but enough for those that I'll be keeping. FWIW, they are enough oversize to fit, albeit very snugly, the 26" rifle, and they look great on a school gun/mock PCR.
M1899C-PCR.jpg
M1899C-PCR.jpg (58.22 KiB) Viewed 2441 times

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

Thanks for posting. I have one arriving Monday. Want to check one out before getting one for each rifle

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

Got it today. Doesn't feel as good as an original, feels tinny I guess to describe it. Fit my 1896 rifle, did not fit the 1898 rifle or 1899 carbine.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Nice looking copy. Too bad they couldn't make it exactly the same size as original.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Original U.S. Krag Muzzle-Cover/Sight-Protectors would have to be 'stretched', in order to fit the muzzles of BoO&F 26" rifle barrels and 22" carbine barrels.
My 'hunch' is that this was not officially done.
Definitely, not for 22" carbines. Issue U.S. Krag Carbines had a regulation front-sight Hood/Protector.

(However, with only 100 BoO&F rifles made, and some known bayonets 'made to fit' the 26" barrels, I reckon, it is possible that a small number of Muzzle-Covers were also altered or made, for the short experimental Krags. It would be a significant reveal, if anyone found documentation on this issue)!

The brass muzzle devices were made to 'properly' fit the muzzle dimensions of the 30" Krag rifle barrel.
Since 22 inch "School Rifle" barrels are stepped at the muzzle, in order to accept a standard bayonet, the normal Krag rifle Muzzle-Cover will fit without alteration.

If I owned a reproduction Krag Muzzle-Cover and it didn't fit some desired application, I would heat-up and anneal the brass, make a 'shaft' to duplicate the desired diameter, lubricate the 'inside cup' of the brass Cover and the shaft with 'case lube', and use my reloading press or vise to 'stretch' the reproduction Muzzle-Cover.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Can't speak to any documentation, haven't yet found any details on the BoOF rifle testing, but I can say that the brass covers DO fit on a 26" barrel - "snug", but still easily done by hand - no tapping with a block of wood, or the like. So, I'd suspect that no written explanation will be found relative to the covers, especially since that feature wasn't on trial, as opposed to the bayonet, which they would have wanted to evaluate, if only to document the reach.