Pretty Nasty Action in the Philippines

U.S. Military Krags
kragluver2

Re: Pretty Nasty Action in the Philippines

Post by kragluver2 »

Interesting pictures here.

Recommended book on the subject : The Moro War by James R Arnold
Last edited by kragluver2 on Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

waterman

Post by waterman »

Author?

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Militant Islam, nothing's changed . . .

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I believe, Colonel Parker Hitt was realizing exactly that.
He made the concise reflective comment, "Moros will always be Moros", when asked his opinion on an uprising that was occurring in the late 1930s.

Our current terms just were not devised, back then.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Dick Hosmer wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:17 pm Militant Islam, nothing's changed . . .

Yes, Sir. Nothing has changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wugWj42pLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuxqXjhl13Y
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Ngrovcam

Post by Ngrovcam »

I was a patient at Walter Reed back in the spring of ‘72…officers’ ward. One of the retired guys on the unit was in his late 90’s, and had enlisted in 1896, commissioned later and retired as a major, just before or shortly after we got involved in World War I, I think. Major Cohen…not sure of spelling. I know he died shortly thereafter and is buried at Arlington.
He was in the fight against the Moros…talked about them sneaking into their camps at night and slitting guys’ throats, being all drugged up when in combat.
He said his unit had Krags, which were practically useless because the rounds couldn’t penetrate their hard wood armor - until his guys started turning the bullets around in the cartridges…that would knock the Moros down and they could be bayoneted. He said they actually preferred the trapdoors because the bigger, slower bullets could punch through the armor.
He used to say to me, “Them Moros, they were bad fellas!”
Now, I don’t know how much of that stuff was literally true, or how much was an old soldier, pulling a much younger one’s strings…but, he surely had my attention…and, I have no doubt he was being truthful when he said they were “bad fellas”!

Old Soldier

Post by Old Soldier »

When I read of the Philippines it reminds me of Viet-nam. If you were to black out the place names, you would not know about which war you were reading.
The public's attitude about the troops, the type of fights, the retaliation, the Government's bungling. We seem to not learn.
" Should it come to war... we shall place our trust in God and our Long Rifles" Continental Congress