European Krag book?

European Krags
Sunshineboys

European Krag book?

Post by Sunshineboys »

I was looking for any publication which is inexpensive and easily obtainable. One which focuses on the European Krags. Can someone help. I did purchase Joe Poyers book but it is totally US Krag rifles and accoutrements. Dave

skillest

Re: European Krag book?

Post by skillest »

Hey!

Not to dissapoint but for European Krags there isn't that much out there. Karl Hanevik has a great book on Norwegian arms which has a large focus on the krag, but its all in Norwegian and was printed in the 90s. I believe you can still buy them on his website and would recommend it, its quite a complete package when it comes to the Norwegian use/production of Krags, as long as you can deal with translating the pages.

Danish Krags don't have much printed on them at all. There's a Danish article from the 60s by A.N. Hvidt that attempts to summarize the history of the Danish models of Krag and their use. It gets some stuff right, some stuff wrong, and unfortunately doesn't quite source its claims correctly, so its difficult to see where he pulls information from or where claims even originate. Bjorn Nielsen has a great article from the 90s which is also in Danish and covers the Danish trials that led to the creation and adoption of the Krag. I did write an article for Armax that discusses the Danish adoption of the Krag-Jorgensen rifle, including the lead-up to the creation of the rifle's action, based on previous publications and archival material I got from the Danish Rigsarkivet. You can find it here (unfortunately its not free, the journal charges for it).

https://www.armaxjournal.org/doi/armax21011

Aside from those previously mentioned publications, there are some small bits here and there as well but there isn't anything comprehensive whatsoever. I am writing a large book that covers all Krags from all countries to fix this issue right now. I've essentially finished the Danish section, which required the most amount of research at Danish archives/collections/museums etc. due to the lack of existing publications on the subject. As has been discussed in this forum before, there's been a lot of conflicting information in US books on the US rifles for production of rifles, models, etc, so I'm hoping to talk about that in the US section of my book. Right now I'm working on cleaning up that section after a visit to Springfield/ US archives and collectors places (like Tom from these very forums!), but I'll probably need some more photos/info on the rare US Krags out there like the Parkhurst device rifles and scoped krags, etc. After that, I'll need to complete my research in Norway and hopefully finish the whole thing by the end of 2024.