1898 Krag sights

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Bill Rogers

Re: 1898 Krag sights

Post by Bill Rogers »

It makes sense now. I just picked this up the day I posted and really hadn't done any real looking although I did question why the knurled sight adjustment knob was on the left and not the right. The number increments on the side are also backwards. With the naked eye, and mine are stark naked, I couldn't tell if it had been added to. I'll get out my big illuminated jewelers glasses and have a look. I'm sure the value of an 06 sight is diminished with the modifications. Would you all agree? I'll have to decide how I want to do this one. If I do the sporter version I may decide to scope it. The big bunny ear sight is interesting and it does allow for a little quicker sight picture, bringing it into the groove then just a little fine tuning. Since Hugh Hefner has passed the bunnies are looking for work. This one found a permanent job!

Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

Many of you may think I am crazy. I love my original Krags but the beat up sported model i found several months ago I am getting ready to put it together again. It's going to remain a sporter. I thought long and hard about it but finally settled on a Richard's Microfit laminate stock in Irish Moss Green. I wish Boyd's still made them as this one is going to be much more work and fitting. Just for character I am thinking about inletting an original rear sling and front sling band and just for good measure I thought I might even put a saddle ring on it. I might be looking for these parts. I found a few places on line but thought I would ask here first. I know it might be considered sacrilege but I didn't have enough original parts to do it up right. Go easy on me!!! I wouldn't have done it this way if it was in better shape. I am going to check the classifieds and for sale parts here. If anyone has some let me know.

Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

I have an old stock in a closet that I believe to be a Krag carbine. It has a front barrel band that is solid with no screw and no sling ring. There is a roughly 3 inch long by 1/8" "spring" inlayed in the forend that I believe to allow quick disassembly of the firearm and taking the action and barrel out of the stock. Simply push the spring in and the band slides off and it clicks back in place when slid back on. I don't see this on any other Krags I have. Anyone familiar with this?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It sounds like a Krag carbine stock and barrel-band retaining spring.

Model 1896, model 1898, and model 1899 carbines used specific stocks and barrel-bands.
The barrel-bands were solid and retained with a flat spring.

If you post a picture, we can tell you what you have.
Attachments
a pair of 1899 carbines-edit.jpg
a pair of 1899 carbines-edit.jpg (300.86 KiB) Viewed 227 times
Frederick Remington sculpture models.JPG
Frederick Remington sculpture models.JPG (662.39 KiB) Viewed 227 times

Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

I will take some pics and do my best to get them uploaded.

Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

I have some pics of the stock I believe to be a Krag. The only remaining hardware on it is the spring loaded barrel band which is in perfect working order. I am thinking of mounting on the new sporter stocre somek but not definite on it yet. When I click on add the image it doesn't let me load it from my computer. I'm no techie or maybe I need some authorization.