Remington-Lee Barrels On Krags

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Re: Remington-Lee Barrels On Krags

Post by butlersrangers »

The Stevens-Pope barrels, that the U.S. team used in 1903 at Bisley, had a rifling twist-rate of 1 turn in 8 inches.
(Springfield Armory 'Issue' Krag barrels were 1 turn in 10 inches).

The Steven's-Pope barrels improved stability of the custom 220 grain projectiles at 1,000 yards.

In 1903, 'Issue' U.S. Krag ammo was a handicap for long range shooting.
"Whistler & Aspinwall - .30" propellant was sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity.
The Government 220 grain projectile was a poor performer.
An improved (Hudson-Thomas designed) 'windbucker' 220 grain projectile was used by the U.S. team at the 1903 Bisley 'Palma Match'.

The U.S. team won the match, but, the results were voided and the trophy returned to the custody of the previous year's winner, (Britain-1902 - at Ottawa), to be competed for at the next future match.
There was no default 1903 winner. Most of the teams had custom barrels and tweaked their ammo, but, only the U.S. Team's barrels changed their country's standard rifling grooves and twist. (This was a clear 'rule' violation).

(IMHO - The Palma Trophy of 1903 should have gone to the French, firing Berthier rifles with horrible sights, or the Norwegians, who fired their 6.5X55mm Krags "offhand")!

Possibly, one of the illegitimate U.S. Krags of 1903 is in the NRA-Museum in Virginia. ImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'FredC' - I did receive my copy of the 2004 "Gun Digest". The articles on the 1903 Palma Match and 'The Hudson-Krag Handloads' are quite interesting.

The 'boxed quote' in your last post is not what I wrote.

I wrote that: "Whistler & Aspinwall .30" propellant was sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity.

This reportedly caused variation in shot elevation and it was difficult to maintain 'correct' rear-sight settings with changing match conditions.
This observation was stated in an article, by NRA - Shooting Sports, regarding the 1901, 1902, and 1903 Palma Matches.

I haven't read or commented on 'W.A. - .30 powder' and pressures.

IIRC - The gist of the 'Shooting Sports' article was that early propellants lacked the consistency, stability, and predictability of more modern powders.

(IMHO - This sure had to add to the challenge of long range shooting, back in the day).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Mallory commented in his book, "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition, page 173, ... "Peyton powder was used initially in the 2,200 f.p.s. cartridge, but a switch was made to Laflin & Rand W. A. when it was found the latter powder gave lower average pressures".

Mallory reported the 2,200 f.p.s. round as developing 45,000 p.s.i. breech pressure and the 2,000 f.p.s. rounds were loaded to 40,000 p.s.i. pressure level.

I would assume, high temperatures would have increased these pressures.

FredC

Post by FredC »

"Whistler & Aspinwall - .30" propellant was sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity.

I have wondered if this had something to do with the cracked lugs during the 2200 fps experiment. With all the discussion of 303 ammo and other heavy loads in Krags on this forum in the last year, why did they have the problem?
I know pressure goes up with temperature, pressures are MAP Maximum Average Pressure. Maybe the WA powder was really affected by 120F temps?

BR, did you get your copy of the 2004 GD?

I tried to straighten it out and it got worse and changed position. My computer is not working well today or I am not holding my mouth right. After 4 tries it is more or less as intended but still out of order. :-)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Bumped thread - it has 1903 Palma information that I forgot about.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Only 3 years and I forgot this hd already been discussed. I am getting old.
Link to new discussion: http://kragcollectorsassociation.com/vi ... 491#p46491