Very modified krag

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
butlersrangers

Re: Very modified krag

Post by butlersrangers »

RickyG - It appears your Krag's serial number is 392054.
This would indicate it was built, as a rifle, in May or June of 1902.

Your aftermarket receiver-sight is a Redfield #70 KH, ('no-drill' model), with 'Hunter's Knobs'.
This is a very nice sight, but, the top staff needs to be removed, in order to take the bolt out of the action, for routine bore cleaning, from the breech.
(I have found it easier to just take off the whole sight, by simply removing the extra-long side-plate screw).

The Safety-Lever is missing from your bolt. (I don't see any parts alteration that would prevent a simple replacement).
I wonder if a prior owner once installed a Buehler Safety or some other custom replacement?

You have acquired a novel 'Hunting Krag' with a very interesting 'flat magazine-gate'.
I like the rendering of the 'Butter Knife' bolt handle.

I copied your photo, which shows the 'barrel-collar', that FredC was referring to. Like Fred, I was curious if there's an additional anchor point between the barrel and forestock?
A molding or collar was common on custom Krags to soften the transition between the barrel diameter and action 'ring'. It is neat that this collar serves another and useful purpose.

We will need an after-action report when you try her out at the Range!
Attachments
Redfield #70K no-drill sight (2).jpg
Redfield #70K no-drill sight (2).jpg (94.77 KiB) Viewed 12916 times
barrel collar edit.jpeg
barrel collar edit.jpeg (416.44 KiB) Viewed 12921 times

Markt97213

Post by Markt97213 »

Could I please get a couple of extra photos?
Id like to see close up details of the magazine follower, and its attachments to the side plate.

Also of the button that locks the plate closed. Both sides and of the receiver side as well. I am right at this point with my grandpa's Krag and this looks more like the direction I'd like to go, vs the hand drawn schematics that I have from the 1950's.
Thank you

Mark

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

Yeah its on loan at the moment ill get you some asap

Markt97213

Post by Markt97213 »

Watching

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

May not be any more updates.... a buddy of mine is enamored with it. Good guy not a lot of funds. I may gift it.