Krag sight collection

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Krag sight collection

Post by butlersrangers »

Current state of my collection of 'loose' U.S. Krag sights.

I certainly don't have all the 'sub-variants' of each type and I still need to add a model 1898 carbine sight.

I'm about done covering the basic types. Hunting for them over the years, at a reasonable cost, has been fun.
Attachments
IMG_4161.JPG
IMG_4161.JPG (991.28 KiB) Viewed 3863 times

MooseNugget

Re: Krag sight collection

Post by MooseNugget »

IIRC: Whig has a nice rear sight collection.

Here's what I have so far along with some pieces needing parts.

Only 1886 carbine sights I have are already mounted on carbines...however, I hear a rumor that an 1886 carbine sight might make it self available to some lucky KCA member!
Attachments
Krag Rear Sights 3.jpg
Krag Rear Sights 3.jpg (390.63 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
Krag Rear SIghts 2.jpg
Krag Rear SIghts 2.jpg (659.71 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
Krag Rear Sights 1.jpg
Krag Rear Sights 1.jpg (595.38 KiB) Viewed 3831 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

MooseNugget - You have a handsome sight array, with very good examples of the 'Dickson' model 1898 carbine and rifle sights and a great 1902 carbine sight.

There are sure a lot of minor knob-size and number-spacing variations with the model 1896 rifle sight. It does not appear that either of us has a 'high-hump' 1896 sight.

My rare acquisitions were good luck and noticing something in a poor eBay photograph.

I would bet that each of your acquisitions comes with a fun story!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I am surprised by how little discussion is generated by some KCA topics.
A lot of people viewed this thread, but only 'MooseNugget' responded and shared some of his nice collection of Krag rear-sights.

The different sight models and their evolution communicates a big chunk of the U.S. Krag story.

Of late, I have been rather blown away by the climbing cost of various Krag parts on eBay.
Shopping for spare Krag parts and items to complete projects has seemed rather fruitless, during the past two years.
Potential good buys usually seem to evaporate in 'bidding wars', with stupid amounts of money being spent.
Sight parts that were once common, inexpensive, and simplified fun restorations, don't seem to show up, these days.

A few weeks ago, when I had pretty much given up on searching eBay for Krag parts, I suddenly was rewarded with a spectacular coup!
One of the rarest of U.S. Krag rear-sights had been in plain view for eight days and nobody had bid on it.

Granted, the photos were dim and the listing, "Rare model 1901 sight" seemed like an exaggeration.
But, as I scanned through the pages of listed eBay Krag items, a couple of features in an ill lit and poorly focused sight photo caught my attention.

I played with the photos and determined that it was a rare model 1901 sight, indeed!
Never thought I'd have one of these in the collection box.

It is one of the rear-sights (or a spare) that was made in 1902 for the one hundred 26-inch barrel 'trial rifles', requested by the Board of Ordnance & Fortifications
Attachments
IMG_4153.JPG
IMG_4153.JPG (240.14 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
IMG_4157.JPG
IMG_4157.JPG (162.87 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
IMG_4161 edit.jpg
IMG_4161 edit.jpg (368.45 KiB) Viewed 3738 times