Me and the Spreadsheet for Ammo

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Culpeper

Me and the Spreadsheet for Ammo

Post by Culpeper »

Good evening, Bonjour, and Howdy to KCA Rookies. In keeping with my quality control theme I present to you the spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet is your friend. Your can trap any kind of info that you want. "Thank you, Captain Obvious. We've only known that for thirty years." True, true. But it pays to here it again every few years.

Moving on. The simplest information to trap is costs. In my sheet I capture everything relating to a purchase including the date in as machine sortable format. That would be yyyy mm dd. Name of the item, date, units per item, quantity of items, price per, total price, shipping, hazmat, taxes (ugh), Complete total, URL link, and then the best part. I created three cells for the price of each individual piece, and then the price of each piece with shipping, hazmat, taxes (ugh).

Most of the time it is simple arithmetic to get a good answer. Lean a little bit and I'll tell you. Let's I bought an eight pound jug of Varget for 320 dollars and because I want to keep track of where I spend my moola record it in the sheet. So a pound of powder is 7000 grains. Eight pound is 56000 grains. Using my toes to help count would not give the answer but =sum(320/56000) does.

I loaded up twenty 7.62x51 cartridges and primed another one hundred and fifty-one this afternoon. I know the total coast to build the cartridges thanks to the spreadsheet. "well, hold on. You show the SMKs as twenty-five cents. What gives?" Good eye. That was how much I paid for 175 SMKs seconds a couple of years ago. When I run out of those I will change the sheet to reflect the latest reality.

As you can see reloading does not save you any money looking at the big picture. What it does is you allow you to shoot more for the same money. Compare 87 cents to my 54 cents.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/308-wincheste ... -175grains

good shooting to you
Attachments
spreadsheet demo.jpg
spreadsheet demo.jpg (76.01 KiB) Viewed 9817 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Whig

Re: Me and the Spreadsheet for Ammo

Post by Whig »

$320 for an 8 pound jug of Varget? Did it come gift wrapped in sterling silver? Wow! I guess I haven't seen these powder prices for a while! I love Varget and use it for tons of loads. Great powder.

Spreadsheets? I just jot some numbers down on a piece of scratch paper. I'm old, old school. Back in the day I used to say back in the day.

Culpeper

Re: Me and the Spreadsheet for Ammo

Post by Culpeper »

Oopsie. Dropped a word or two.

Most of the time it is simple arithmetic to get a good answer. Lean a little bit and I'll tell you. Let's say I bought an eight pound jug of Varget for 320 dollars and because I want to keep track of where I spend my moola I record it in the sheet. So a pound of powder is 7000 grains. Eight pound is 56000 grains. Using my toes to help count would not give the answer but =sum(320/56000) does.

It was just an example. Looks like I guessed correctly.

I checked which jug I was drawing from and the true count is .003 cents for a total price per charge is 12.9 cents.

Widows just burn scraps of paper and get low balled by vultures. I figure my kids have a baseline to go off of when the doctor gives me the long face tells me I need to pay for the visit like right now.
Attachments
spreadsheet demo 2.jpg
spreadsheet demo 2.jpg (71.04 KiB) Viewed 9776 times
2023 11 11 ammoseek.jpg
2023 11 11 ammoseek.jpg (119.38 KiB) Viewed 9776 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio