Chamber Obstruction in 1898 Krag Rifle

U.S. Military Krags
DCRColoCity

Chamber Obstruction in 1898 Krag Rifle

Post by DCRColoCity »

I bought this rifle last summer, and am just getting around to loading some ammunition for it. Based on a recommendation from someone on this forum, I bought some .303 British cases and resized them in a 30-40 die. I tried chambering a couple of the empty cases, and there is something in the chamber that makes closing the bolt difficult, and when I extract the case the shoulder is partially crushed all the way around. When I remove the bolt & shine a light in, there's a ring of some light-colored material around the shoulder area of the chamber. I can't get it loose with a wire chamber brush nor, can I scrape anything loose with a screwdriver blade.

Any idea what this could be, and how to clear it out? Could it be bullet lube residue from lead bullets? Do I need to take it to a gunsmith with a chamber reamer to try & clean it out? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Krag Rifle4.jpg
Krag Rifle4.jpg (859.75 KiB) Viewed 12422 times
Krag Rifle3.jpg
Krag Rifle3.jpg (887.68 KiB) Viewed 12422 times

RickyG

Re: Chamber Obstruction in 1898 Krag Rifle

Post by RickyG »

Can you photograph the area? Maybe a drill rifle someone unplugged?

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Certainly not the least expensive, but I'd think that CAREFULLY reaming the chamber would be the safest way - much better than hammering on a screwdriver! :o :o :o

Whig

Post by Whig »

Sounds like something unusual was repeatedly shot in the Krag to build up this residue ring. I would suspect blank cartridges that may have done this. Just a suspicion possibility. Needs reamed out and the bore needs to be examined well. How does the bore look to you? Has it possibly been re-chambered for another caliber?

I've never been a fan of re-sizing .303 for the Krag. The case is shorter and it can cause other issues if not done exactly right. If you can get any regular .30-40 Krag ammunition and chamber one, it would be interesting to see if the same problem exists. Sounds like it would if there is a residue ring built up but we like to consider all variables like the brass you made.

Keep us informed. More pictures and info would help. Good luck!

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

Dick Hosmer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:40 am Certainly not the least expensive, but I'd think that CAREFULLY reaming the chamber would be the safest way - much better than hammering on a screwdriver! :o :o :o

No problem a bigger hammer can't resolve..... so sayeth the Book of the Corps chapter 20 verse 20

Gdawg47

Post by Gdawg47 »

This, or something similar is worth it's price. can be used from .22 and up.
https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Borescop ... hdGY&psc=1

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I recommended using reformed .303 Brass in the absence of having any .30-40 Brass.

With a chamber problem, I would recommend taking your Krag to a very experienced gunsmith or doing a cerrosafe chamber-cast.
If there is part of a separated case-neck lodged in your chamber, the chamber-cast will likely bond to it.
When the casting is knocked out of the barrel-chamber, the fragment hopefully would be attached to the casting.

I have no way of knowing your resources or mechanical competence.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Yeah, DCR. You need to see a gunsmith on this one. Like the Hippocratic Oath says. Do no harm. Common hand tools could do a lot of damage.

Would you have a pic of one of those crushed cases for us to have a looky-see?
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

At this point it seems an obstruction is less likely than the .303 cases not being sized enough to push the shoulder aft enough for the Krag chamber. Neck sizing die won't do that job, of course. If using a FL sizer, be sure that the case enters the die fully during sizing, with no gap between die and shellholder.

The original .303 shoulder is just enough forward to make for hard chambering in the Krag.
303inKrag.JPG
303inKrag.JPG (97.33 KiB) Viewed 12359 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

Anyone else remember this old thread?

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.co ... %27s+cases

After resizing the 303 cases in a good 30/40 die you would think they would chamber. Do we know for sure the die is really setting the shoulder back?
Could the light colored material DCR is seeing in the shoulder be part of a case than came unglued and is now stuck in the chamber? Not sure that is even possible, but I thought I would ask.

Does a new unfired Remington case fit?