Deep dives on Krag Carbine development

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Tenacious Trilobite

Deep dives on Krag Carbine development

Post by Tenacious Trilobite »

Howdy friends, I've been looking for a source that does a deep dive on Krag carbine development. Especially a slow walk through the individual part/design changes, and when they happened. Brophy, Mallory, and Canfield have very good information, but it doesn't quite reach that level of detail.

I've seen many of y'all mention Joe Farmer's notes. I managed to find a cached version of his (now defunct) website to get an email address and ask about purchasing a copy, but it has been about two weeks with no response. Do any of you have a reliable way to reach him, or know of another way to get a copy? Any other sources you know of with the information I seek?

Whig

Re: Deep dives on Krag Carbine development

Post by Whig »

He moved the Florida last year and couldn't keep his website going. Last time I communicated with him he was at 5madfarmers@gmail.com. I haven't talked with him for a while. Try this e-mail and give him some time. His book is well worth the trouble of tracking him down. Keep us informed and ask any questions you might have about Krags here. Sometimes we can be quite helpful. Good luck!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Whig, did he EVER share with you his reason for believing your PCR was real?

I can swing both ways on Joe. A fantastic researcher absolutely without peer, but a very quirky writer, and an admittedly lazy (as in "I frankly don't give a sh*t") photographer. He was (is?) a hard guy to relate to, and correspond with. You never knew where you stood. He did (does) NOT suffer fools, and could be downright rude.
Yet, I was a guest in his home once, and he was very pleasant. At that time he had some unbelievable guns. So, I DO miss the contact - and his book IS well worth the purchase.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Not a deep dive, but here is an early article on the "U.S Magazine Carbine, Model 1895" dating March 1895. Some little tidbits.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Jo ... frontcover

Here is a post from 1-1/2 years ago where we discussed it.

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.co ... ine#p41702