By BOLO and KRAG

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

By BOLO and KRAG

Post by Whig »

I found this book recently on fleabay and bought it. I have never seen nor heard of it before. Has anyone ever heard of this book?

Interesting read. It was written by an American soldier who lived through some interesting experiences in the Philippines mainly after the Spanish American War. The introduction is quite unique in that the author warns women not to read this book because of the intense deranged actions of the Moros in fighting American soldiers in Manila. I have to say that, at least by today's standards, there was nothing that made me cringe. (I don't currently identify as a woman, though!) But, that shouldn't minimize the danger that American soldiers faced constantly from these drug-raged maniacs bent on chopping up and burning any foreign soldiers in their land.

But, in spite of the capturing title, there is faint little discussion about Krags. Mainly statements that soldiers kept their Krags close by to use at short notice when raging lunatics came a-chargin!

I think I'll keep it because of the title and book cover. It should be an interesting additional to my Krag collection. It's a long book - 272 pages- and quite flowery in the writing style. Very dated in language, phrases and idioms. I had to look a few up.

But, if anyone has seen this before, I'd be interested to hear. Never come across it in any Krag travels before.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Attachments
DSCN9321.JPG
DSCN9321.JPG (448.78 KiB) Viewed 13048 times
DSCN9322.JPG
DSCN9322.JPG (254.71 KiB) Viewed 13048 times
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (316.77 KiB) Viewed 13048 times

MooseNugget

Re: By BOLO and KRAG

Post by MooseNugget »

Awww, that book was on my watchlist and I forgot about it. :cry:

Glad you got it Whig...hope it's a good read.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

I looked in Google Books to see if this book was scanned. (Google goes around to libraries and scans books out of copyright protection.) This book was not fully scanned even though the copyright date is 1907. However, another book by the same author was found with the title "When the Krag is Laid Away", copyright 1910. This book is over 300 pages and somewhat colorful, also. You could call it raw. If anyone cares to read it the link is below.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Wh ... frontcover

And yet another book by the same author. Of some interest is a list of slang words used by the American soldiers in the Philippines towards the end of the book.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Sa ... frontcover

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

With my understanding of human behavior, that book introduction is guaranteed to lure & tempt female readers!

It sure sounds like an interesting volume, to me.

Sensitive gender? That's a pretty sexist view. I guess Lizzy was innocent and maybe an 'Irish Maid' gave Mrs. & Mr. Borden the axe?
Kind of academic, if you ask me.

I remember Kipling's advice to the young British soldier:

"When you're lying wounded on Afghanistan's plains,
and the women come out to cut up what remains,
just roll to your rifle and blow out your ..... " (You get the idea).

Girls can be mean ... and vicious.