Remington-Lee & J.W. Nara

Other Firearms
butlersrangers

Remington-Lee & J.W. Nara

Post by butlersrangers »

Michigan Tech. University has a fine library that is a treasure trove of records and photographs related to the history of the "Copper Country".
More 'digital' resources have recently been made available to the public.

Yesterday, I was prowling through some of their online digital photos and found & copied some 'gems':

J.W. Nara was a noted Professional Photographer in Calumet, Michigan. Fortunately, he was also a member of the Calumet Company "E" of the 3rd regiment, Michigan State Troops, in the early 1900s.
Some Nara photographs capture members of the Calumet Company during the period of 1898 to 1904.
In that approximate time frame, the Militia (Mich.N.G.) were armed with state purchased model 1899 - Remington-Lee rifles in .30-40 caliber.
Around 1903-1904, the Remington-Lee rifles were replaced with the sturdier U.S. Krag-Jorgensen rifle.

Attached are photos showing: Private J.W. Nara (note 'E3' insignia on hat and collar), Michigan troops reposing near Red Jacket Mine Shaft, and Nara & mates likely encamped at Island Lake, Michigan, (annual training camp - note the case of Goebel's Beer, a Detroit brewery).

Also attached is a 'clip' from October, 1906, published in "Shooting and Fishing", that mentions the State of Michigan loaning the "Lee- Remington rifles" to civilian shooting clubs
Attachments
MNG - j w nara-E3.jpeg
MNG - j w nara-E3.jpeg (44.25 KiB) Viewed 18112 times
MNG - j w nara.jpeg
MNG - j w nara.jpeg (275.03 KiB) Viewed 18122 times
mng nara photo.jpeg
mng nara photo.jpeg (113.9 KiB) Viewed 18122 times
MST- Nara-encampment.jpeg
MST- Nara-encampment.jpeg (148.93 KiB) Viewed 18122 times
Mich. Lee-Rem-10-06.jpeg
Mich. Lee-Rem-10-06.jpeg (228.83 KiB) Viewed 18122 times

Culpeper

Re: Remington-Lee & J.W. Nara

Post by Culpeper »

One more rifle on my I-have-got-to-have-one-before-I-die list. If not own at least shoot.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

IMO - The model 1899 Remington-Lee was a rifle not ready for 'prime time'.

The stock was prone to split or chip, due to poor provision to resist the forces of recoiling parts.

The action had some small easily lost or broken parts.

The action lacked smoothness. The bolts were not interchangeable and hard to fit, with two forward and two rear 'locking lugs'.

During the SAW, the Michigan U.S. Volunteer Regiments went into action with .45 caliber 'trapdoor' Springfield rifles.
Frustrated with the wait for state militias to be armed with Krag, .30 caliber magazine rifles, Michigan purchased what appeared to be a serviceable commercial alternative.

After some 'service use', the shortcomings of the Remington-Lee became manifest. The Michigan N.G. was very glad to receive Krags around 1903-1904.

Personally, I find the model 1899 to be an intriguing arm. But, it lacks the development, testing, and refinement of the British Lee service arms.

I have a collectable R-L Mich. N.G. rifle and a 'sportered' rifle for shooting:
Attachments
IMG_9149.JPG
IMG_9149.JPG (209.05 KiB) Viewed 18087 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Didn't know about these. Very sleek rifles!
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"Sleek" is a good description" of the Remington-Lee small bore 'smokeless' (1899) action.
It lacks good ergonomics and adequate stock strength.
Hindsight is a good teacher.
Knowing an arm's history and seeing broken and damaged rifles points out design shortcomings.

The British Lee-Metford and Lee-Enfield designs evolved from an earlier and simpler black powder action.
Enfield Arsenal devised a stronger stock forearm and butt attachment system.
They simplified and strengthened a rear locking bolt system, resulting in a robust rifle with good ergonomics.

Probably the greatest contribution of James Paris Lee to gun design was the detachable box rifle magazine.

I have found my altered (.30-40 caliber) Remington-Lee a fun rifle to shoot.
It didn't cost much and a skilled gunsmith improved aspects of the action and placed it in a beefier sporting stock.
Attachments
IMG_9933.JPG
IMG_9933.JPG (424.39 KiB) Viewed 18066 times

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Beautiful pair for a fun day of shooting.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer