Bison, Coyotes, and Elk

For poking fun and off topic subjects
FredC

Re: Bison, Coyotes, and Elk

Post by FredC »

Back to the original post. Coyotes are not really that big. I have seen deer run them off several times. Coyotes seem to especially fear those front hooves coming down on them. The one coyote I saw eating a full-grown deer was near a fence. My guess is the deer injured itself jumping the fence in the dark and the coyote found it dead or injured. https://kragcollectorsassociation.org/k ... php?t=6400
A healthy bison would mean keep more distance. The first photo showed more diversity in the grass. As summer gets in full swing some patches of grass dry up faster depending on underlying soils.

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

What nvg us that may i ask? What distances are you getting?

Norwood

Post by Norwood »

No offense intended to anyone but I’m just curious as to why all of a sudden we have to refer to buffaloes as bison? I understand they are not “real” buffaloes but everyone knows what you’re talking about when you say it. I have a coffee can half full of old nickels. Do I need to call them bison nickels now? Were the biologists offended by our misidentification? The woke left? The American Indians? They were misidentified too and we haven’t had to change their name. Yet. I say if we need to not refer to them as buffalo anymore we should use the term the Indians did. Tonka. And suddenly from this day forward I shall

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I loved my Tonka Trucks, when I was a kid. I like Buffalo Trace Bourbon Whisky. Bison are cool.
The Eastern Woodland Buffalo, once plentiful, became extinct.
First Nations, Native Americans, North American Indians, Indigenous Peoples .... it's all subject to change.

Chippewa/Ojibwa, Ottawa/Odwa, Lakota/Sioux, Sami/Laplander, Suomi/Finland, Cornishman/'Cousin Jack', Scottish/Scotch/Caledonian,
Caucasian/White ... it all goes back to the Tower of Babel.

Nomenclature is a tricky 'thingy'.

I just try to be friendly and not give too much offense.

Happy Kwanzaa ... and Festivus for the rest of us!

Norwood

Post by Norwood »

You’re right. I’m always friendly too but I question the motives of people who try to change me to make themselves feel better. I’m doing just fine.