Krag Carbine Front Sight Base Location?

U.S. Military Krags
Stretch32

Krag Carbine Front Sight Base Location?

Post by Stretch32 »

I know I saw this somewhere on the forum but I can't seem to find it right now.

How far back from the muzzle / crown of the barrel was the front sight base located on the carbine? Was this distance the same as the rifle?

I vaguely remember reading that it was (on average) about .430" from the crown / muzzle to the "start" of the sight base. I'm not sure if this is correct or what is considered the "start" of the sight base.

I'm assembling a '99 carbine from parts and, since I can't seem to find a nice original carbine barrel, I was going to use a 22" cut down rifle barrel with excellent bore that I have so I can shoot it for the time being. I have a reproduction front sight base from S&S and I just need to figure out where to put the dovetail in the cut down barrel to correctly locate the front sight base relative to an original carbine.

Any help, especially with pictures or a diagram, would be greatly appreciated.

Stretch

Whig

Re: Krag Carbine Front Sight Base Location?

Post by Whig »

Stretch,

The Krag rifle and carbine, as made at Springfield Armory, had the same setback and mounting criteria for the base of the front sight. The blade was different depending on the calibration of the rear sight for each rifle and carbine rear sight. The base is cleanly and seamlessly inserted into the dovetail and brazed perfectly. The pictures below show the set back and beautiful work done at the Armory.

The carbine sight in the bottom picture is the one with the shorter blade. Set back from the muzzle to the front of the base is 0.421 inches.

Hope this helps!
Attachments
front sight4.jpg
front sight4.jpg (466.46 KiB) Viewed 790 times
DSCN9595.JPG
DSCN9595.JPG (375.42 KiB) Viewed 790 times
DSCN9588.JPG
DSCN9588.JPG (321.7 KiB) Viewed 790 times
DSCN9587.JPG
DSCN9587.JPG (337.26 KiB) Viewed 790 times

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

Whig,

Perfect! Thanks for the help.

I passed the info to my buddy doing the work so we'll see how it turns out. Frankly, I doubt there are many people around that are capable if replicating the seamless appearance between the sight base and the barrel dovetail.

Stretch

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

How tall are they from the bottom of the sight base to the top of the highest point of the sight blade?
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer