IMR-7383 RAD-78 with 168 grain FMJ's .30-40

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Rapidrob

IMR-7383 RAD-78 with 168 grain FMJ's .30-40

Post by Rapidrob »

Years ago when the surplus powder IMR-7383 RAD-78 ( .50 Spotter rifle powder ) came onto the market, I started working up loads for my surplus military rifles and carbines.
So far, I've found loads than not only burn all the powder grains, but the loads are accurate at longer ranges.
I've been reloading since 1964 and have picked up a wealth of data since then on powders and their burn rates and uses.
My .30-40 Krag load is about 3/4 of the max loads listed in several manuals. It is 100% case density loading.
Winchester brass, Remington 9 1/2 primer, Hornandy 168 Grain FMJ-BTHP National Match bullet over 45.0 grains of IMR-7383, Lee Factory Crimp.
I've not fired this load over a chronograph but will in the future ( need non-windy day) )
Recoil and shot report feels and sounds normal. Fired brass looks normal with no pressure signs. Bolt lift after firing is normal.
With powder prices reaching prices the highest in my lifetime, I'm glad to have over 150 pounds of this powder properly stored.
I have developed loads for many calibers using this powder and have never had a problem with medium capacity case loads.
Large case loads need to be worked up with 1/2 grain increments. My 8 M/M Remington Magnum load is only 65 grains. Going higher produces a pressure spike that could cause problems. The powder is never to be used in the .50 BMG as it will far exceed pressure ratings for that cartridge.
I will be shooting the .30-40 Krag load this Saturday for 500 meter accuracy.
Vietnam Vet
Navy Chief Gunnersmate
Retired Field Service X-Ray Engineer
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters
HAM Radio KI5NBN

madsenshooter

Re: IMR-7383 RAD-78 with 168 grain FMJ's .30-40

Post by madsenshooter »

Be very careful with that stuff Chief! I have the slow lot, gave it a little boost in 7.5x55 which worked quite well, tried the same in my Garand and was really flattening primers, maybe bending the op rod! I've not tried it in 30-40 cause boosted 860 works really good. I haven't been able experiment in over a year while fighting for my collection back from crooked cops. That nitroguanide coating has to explode first in order for the 7383 to work properly, I've ascertained. That takes a bit more primer than you're going to find in LR primers. The spotter round didn't use a regular 50BMG primer, it had a hotter one.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

This is all very interesting, but way above my 'pay grade'.

For peace of mind, given my limited understanding of internal ballistics, I have to stay with traditional rifle powders and 'recipe books'.

Rapidrob

Post by Rapidrob »

I've been using IMR-7383 RAD78 for ten years now and have a lot of it. There are "the sky is falling" guys who say their rifles have blown up. I've yet to see an actual photo and proof of this happening.
The only time I've ever reached a limit was reloading my 8 MM Remington Magnum cartridge with a 220 grain Match King bullet and this powder over 70 grains of powder. It was the max safe load where as other powders could be loaded to over 90 grains. While it burned well, the accuracy with a 60% case loading was poor.
For the WWI and WWII size cartridges I've had very good results and accuracy. I would not use the powder in a gas-gun as the burn rate would alter the dwell time which could lead to some interesting results.
Typical of NM weather, yesterday was very cold in windy at 9AM, but 10:15 is was sunny and warn. Not knowing this was to happen I fired the Krag first at our AR550 Man Torso target at 500 meters.
I was using the Hornandy 168 grain Nation Match FMJ bullet. While it shot OK, the slower load of the .30-40 did like the wind. I started with the peep-sight but after a couple of shots had to move to the notch sight as the light was poor. Once the zero was found with the hold off for the wind, I was able to get a string of hits on target. There was no problems with the load. No pressure sign's and the bolt was easy to open.
I do think I'm going to move to the M118 175 grain bullet for better wind-bucking and I like the longer body to engage the rifling. The Hornandy bullet has a body like an M2 Ball bullet. Short.
When I got home I cleaned the rifle, there was no unburned powder in the bore and the first patch came out gray, and not like a dirty BBQ grill. This indicates a proper burn for this bullet weight. The above posted load is a 100% case density load, which is good for accuracy and a consistent burn of thee powder charge. I have not yet fired it over a chronograph but will when the wind stops.
The 1896 Krag rifle shows potential for being very accurate at the longer ranges. I look forward to the 800 yard match in a couple of months once our windy season has passed.
Our range goes out to 1,000 yards. 1/2 in meters, the other 1/2 is yards. Here is the 500 meter firing line:

Here is a X-ten magnification, my target on the left. The closer target is a 200 meter "Bunker" we use for a Rapid-Fire" match.

Here is a view at the target looking back to the firing line.

Here is my target.
Vietnam Vet
Navy Chief Gunnersmate
HAM Radio KI5NBN

Whig

Post by Whig »

Great day at the range! Boy, it sure looks like you could have some fierce winds kicked up on those flats. Thanks for the fun range day experience. I was working on taxes all weekend!

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Nice shooting!
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I don't think the sky is falling. I generally know, what I know nothing or very little about.

You know a lot more about propellants and long-range shooting than I do!

If I was sitting on a barrel of a propellant for 10 years and it had potential in cartridges that I shoot, I guess, I would be motivated to learn some new 'tricks'.

I suspect this bargain powder is not available, now?

You report on a very practical and interesting usage, but without a big stash of this propellant, there is little incentive for most Krag users to replicate your loads.

Rapidrob

Post by Rapidrob »

I've checked around and it looks as though the powder has been purchased from the seller. If that is the case, if one was to see it for sale at a reasonable price, buy it.
The powder can be used in many calibers with very good results.
Vietnam Vet
Navy Chief Gunnersmate
HAM Radio KI5NBN