Winter Project Completed

Other Firearms
P0H0

Winter Project Completed

Post by P0H0 »

I needed a better secure place to store my collection — leaving a bit of space for growth. Back in January I planned everything out and decided to covert an unfinished basement room (3 sides are concrete foundation) into a walk in gun room. I went with a security steel mesh under the sheet rock for the interior wall. After researching, I feel confident that my chosen materials and security will delay a sufficient amount time for law enforcement response.

I opt’ed for vertical gun storage instead of horizontal display to increase storage — I also saved alot by going with rifle rack that is secured to the wall instead of gun wall grid modular system (looked at Secure It).

Additional high resolution photos HERE
IMG_1708.jpeg
IMG_1708.jpeg (433.09 KiB) Viewed 606 times
IMG_1711.jpeg
IMG_1711.jpeg (227.72 KiB) Viewed 606 times

MooseNugget

Re: Winter Project Completed

Post by MooseNugget »

Very, very nice…well done!
I do like the your rack mounted system.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Well done. I like your racks storage set up. Now you just need to hide the door. A shallow shelf unit on piano hinges is just the thing!

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

NICE!

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Well done!! I have thought of doing the same thing.

My FIL has a walk-in safe. His safe door is hidden by a movable book case on hinges and a wheel.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

ebruce

Post by ebruce »

Wow!!! Congratulations on finishing your project! Beautiful! Sincerely. bruce.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Very nice, but, I would distract 'break-ln' thieves by concealing the entrance, with a liquor cabinet in front of the door!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Here's your problem: There are too many empty rack spaces. You desperately need a bunch of Krag rifles to fill those spots!

I do like to see the humidity in the low 40s. That's what I keep mine at. Need a dehumidifier going frequently if not constantly. Very nice. I hope there's an inside release to escape if someone closes the door on you!

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

Thanks guys! It’s definitely a step up from the basement main room with portable racks. I can also leave town with less concern now :)

My brother has suggested hiding the door as well — he does carpentry, so I suggested he come over take care of it for me…. No luck yet. lol It would be easy to frame in a closet in front of it…. Perhaps down the road.

Whig, I also run a dehumidifier in the adjacent room with a target if 40% to 45%. Also I do agree, I have a lot more rack space nice now! You know that reminds me, my two Krag 1898 rifles are due back from Griffin & Howe anytime over the next few months, and I’m anxious to see what the results are!