Not a real carbine, but I like it

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
jrmartin1964

Not a real carbine, but I like it

Post by jrmartin1964 »

I saw this cut-down on one of the many auction sites a few months ago, and... well... it just "spoke" to me. An exchange of funds ensued, and soon the good ol' U.S.P.S. notified me that my new toy was ready for me to pick up. The serial indicates a birthday sometime in 1898, with the info in Poyer's book possibly narrowing that down to November of that year. Definitely started off as a 30-inch infantry rifle, but sometime between then and now its barrel was shortened to a more manageable 22-inches, a M1905 front sight was installed, and the stock cut to resemble a carbine's profile. Also, someone got a little carried away with a piece or two of sandpaper, so any cartouche or other markings were long ago obliterated. The saving grace is that whoever did the cutting down, they did a neat job of it... even gave the muzzle a nice rounded crown. I am also quite pleased to note that the rear sight is a proper Model 1901 carbine variety... 500 yards on the base, 2300 yards on the leaf, and "C" marked in the three appropriate locations! And, unlike so many altered Krags, it even has an appropriate handguard... it's not the carbine variety with the hump, but I prefer the looks of the "flat top" handguard anyway.

Oh, and to put gravy on the biscuits... the front sight blade height works out to EXACTLY what the old "Description and Rules" manuals gives for a Krag carbine with a 1901 rear sight, 0.919" as measured from centerline of the bore. It was no trouble keeping the handful of 220-grain Hornady Interlocks I took took with me well within "minute-of-soup-can" when I rolled it out for a test. Someone surely did their homework on this old soldier!

Jim
Attachments
Krag-Carbine_1901_Sight.jpg
Krag-Carbine_1901_Sight.jpg (353.32 KiB) Viewed 437 times
Krag-Carbine_Right.jpg
Krag-Carbine_Right.jpg (795.33 KiB) Viewed 437 times
Last edited by jrmartin1964 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

butlersrangers

Re: Not a real carbine, but I like it

Post by butlersrangers »

Jrmartin - That is a very nice utility Krag.