OOPS

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
psteinmayer

OOPS

Post by psteinmayer »

I had a nice big loading OOPS this last weekend! I had started loading for Perry, and had 150 Lake City 30-06 cases in the loading trays all cleaned and ready to go! So I set about trimming the cases, and then primed all 150... with primer sealant of course. Then, since I'm working with a different powder than I normally use (My usual load is 44.0 grains of H4895, which I can't get... so for the first time, I'm loading 30-06 with Accurate 4064), I consulted several load tables and selected the load which I believe would provide good results. Finally, I charged the first case and set the first bullet on top... and THAT's the moment I realized I screwed up - the bullet fell right in the case!

I HAD FORGOT TO SIZE THEM!!!

LOL usually, I size a large quanity of cases and set them aside until I get around to trimming the cases. And since they were sitting there like always in the loading trays waiting to be trimmed, I assumed that I had already sized them! Well... since I didn't want to decap and discard 150 primers and start over, I broke out my RBCS 30-06 Neck Sizing die (which I had never before used), removed the decapping pin, and neck sized all 150 with the primers in place. Who knows.... maybe neck sizing only for my 1903A3 along with the new load (47.5 grains of Accurate 4064, Hornady 168 gr A-Max and CCI #34) will lead to great scores this year! Removing the decapping pin (yes, it IS removable/replaceable in this die) is no big deal since I always use a decapping die and decap before I clean the brass.

Lesson learned... ALWAYS check to make sure I've sized my brass if they've been sitting in the trays!

Culpeper

Re: OOPS

Post by Culpeper »

You are a brave lad for admitting to an oopsy. I would never start loading a case without sizing the my 7.5. Swiss once fired brass. :roll: And I would never admit to having to spritz spray lube on my fingers to full length resize them one at a time, after backing the decapping pin away from the flash hole because they were already primered, and then wipe the lube off. :roll: :oops: And I would never admit to it on the greatest Krag forum on the planet opening myself to razzing from my friends. :roll: :shock: :oops:

Nope. Nada. It ain't gonna happen. No, sirree.

Hehehehehe
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

:roll: Yes... I do feel foolish! Fortunately, I use Hornady One-Shot spray lube which does not affect powder or primers. So no harm there!

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I use AA4064 too. 47.5gr gave me primers a little flatter at the edge than I like so I went with 46.4, which made my unlimited Garand very happy! Easy to remember too! Sub MOA groups with 168gr Sierra Tipped Matchkings! Someday I'll figure out how to put pics on this board again, oh look, I found it. The flatter edges of the primers at 47.5gr may have been because I was stuffing the ogive of the Sierra bullets into the rifling, I discovered. My unlimited class Garand is scoped with a little 1.5x4.5 pistol scope.
240447908_4753770757985072_7868963208793869303_n.jpg
240447908_4753770757985072_7868963208793869303_n.jpg (16.78 KiB) Viewed 570 times

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I'm going to do a few test firings just to be sure... but I know the rifle will handle it well considering how hot I made my rounds for the 1000 yard match back in 2019.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Something else for you to check Paul, noting you neck sized only, is how a clip full with a slightly larger body diameter fits in the Garand. I neck sized some myself at one time and a clip full was a tight fit in my rifle. I'm sure your 47.5gr will be fine.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Ahhh Haaaa... these will not be going into the Garand. These are for the 1903A3 only!

I have my Garand ammo already loaded. Interestingly enough, my Garand doesn't do well with the A-Max bullets, so for the Garand, I load a Nosler 168 gr HPBT Match bullet over 44.0 grains of H or IMR 4895, with the #34 primer and HXP brass. I had to stop using Lake City brass for the Garand because I was losing too many in the grass at Perry. I have a plethora of HXB brass so I really don't care if I lose a few here and there! I keep the Lake City confined to the 03A3 chamber now.

Olpeddler

Post by Olpeddler »

Hello Paul, Wishing you much success at the Camp Perry competitions! I can't count the times I have "missed a step" in the process getting something done. The worst one occurred 50 years ago when, without a lot of 'know how', I attempted a tune-job on my Ford station wagon that had a big T-Bird engine. My neighbor, who was a capable auto mechanic, offered to help me. He was late in arriving at my home, so I decided to get started by myself by removing the plugs, distributor wires, and the points. He arrived shortly thereafter, and showed me how to gap the points and plugs. He then asked me to give him the firing order for the cylinders. I responded with "what firing order?" We spent the rest of that Saturday trying various permutations of the cylinders and the points to get the 'Old Girl" running.

I hope the AA 4064 works well in the cartridges for your '03-A3 Springfield. You and I something in common as we collect and shoot U.S. service rifles; and we have exchanged postings on this forum. You probably have more service rifles than me, but we have 3 rifles in common: .30-40 Krag, '03 Springfield, and the M1 Garand. One posting we shared a few years ago pertained to my use of AA 2520 in all my .308 bore rifles. It is a clean burning, spherical powder, and is only infinitesimally slower than AA 4064. In fact, on Hodgdon's burn rate chart of 163 powders, AA 4064 is listed as #103 and AA 2520 is listed as # 104 in terms of burn rate. If for any reason you are not satisfied with AA 4064, you might want to try a pound of AA 2520. Since Hodgdon acquired Western Powders a few years ago, AA 2520 has become more readily available at the on-line reloading warehouses and at gun shops.

For my '03 Springfield, (mfg. at SA in 1918) I use 46.5 grs. of 2520, with a 165 gr. Hornady BTSP Interlock bullet seated in a neck-sized Remington case with a Win. LR primer. When I'm steady I can get 3" groups from the bench at 200 yds. With the Garand, I f/l size the cases, drop the powder down to 45 grs., and crimp the cases. At 200 yards, with the first 1-3 shots I can get 2 - 3" groups, but groups begin to spread out as I empty the clip.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Hey there Olpeddler...

I'm familiar with Accurate 2520. That's the powder I'm using to load for 5.56 NATO for my AR (Modern Military). I just started loading this round over the winter and selected the 2520 based on availability of different powders. I originally intended to use Vihtavouri 140, but couldn't get any, and the AA 2520 was the next best thing in terms of user reviews with the cartridge. If the 4064 doesn't work out, then I'll give the 2520 a whirl in the 03A3!

Capt. Frank

Post by Capt. Frank »

I also pull the decapping pin and resize, when I have to pull a bullet I seated too deep.
If you are using larger bullets (75, 77 grain) in .223/5.56, try A 2495 powder, it gives me .25 minute groups at 100, 300 yards, and .5 minute at 600 in 10-15 mph wind.