Two Krag1898 Rifles Restoration Complete

U.S. Military Krags
P0H0

Two Krag1898 Rifles Restoration Complete

Post by P0H0 »

UPDATE: I have created Public iCloud Shared Albums for the rifles — these albums should not expire with time:

Krag Rifle Project: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B13GdIshaGPQJFF

Completed Krag Rifles: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B135aVbMKvUA6Z

IMG_0870.jpeg
IMG_0870.jpeg (126.64 KiB) Viewed 294 times
A few years ago I purchased a rifle with a shot out barrel and a stripped receiver with the intention of bringing them back. I purchased reproduction stocks, hand guards, various parts (thank you Grandpa), and I also purchased new criterion barrels for both. BR contributed a sight to one of the rifles also! The rifles were then sent off to Griffin & Howe for rust bluing following arsenal instructions from the time period. All the details are in this thread:

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.co ... php?t=6777

Below is the instructions I provided to Griffin & Howe:
RIFLES

US Model 1898 Springfield Armory 242668
US Model 1898 Springfield Armory 482609

OVERVIEW OF REQUESTED SERVICE

I began the restoration of the two US Model 1898 Krag rifles in the spring of 2022. The goal is to restore both rifles to an arsenal correct configuration as outlined in a 1907 US Ordinance Depot instruction. I have included the instruction for proper finish below — with added expertise and attention to detail provided by Griffin and Howe to bring them a cut above a standard issue rifle.

Both rifles have a new criterion barrel, walnut stock and hand guard (stained, inlet for the rear sight, and the clips were handmade). The rifles have been assembled with new reproduction screws and when required replacement parts. New old stock parts were generally selected as first choice — for example the bolt sleeves and extractors are new old stock.

Some parts between the rifles may not be interchangeable. For example the butt plates are not exactly the same size — the stock were fitted to each butt plate. Also the bands and swivels differ slightly.... I speculate this may due to different production year and manufacturer. They certainly are not as standardized as a modern AR-15. For this reason it may be best to not mix the parts of the two rifles.

Both rifles should be generally free of pitting above the stock line, but should be inspected and polished to correct. The butt plates and one rear sling swivel will need attention for some some pits and gouges — however, it should overall be minimal as both rifles are in excellent condition.

The front sight base on each rifle is new and cut to fit the dove tail. However, the front sight base was typically silver soldered into place — I have held off on the soldering as it may be easier to blue without them on. They will need to be soldered into place after the bluing. Also, the front sight blade channel will have to be filed some to fit the sight blades (they are very tight). I have placed the front sight blades, pins and protectors in a ziplock bag and envelope for assembly after bluing.

RIFLE FINISH

U. S. Magazine rifle, Cal .30, model 1898 and carbine model 1899

BLUE IN NITRE: Butt plate and cap, swivels and bands, trigger guard, front sight blade, and magazine cutoff (spring removed)

RUST BLUE: Barrel, front sight base (silver soldered on barrel after bluing), rear sight base, rear sight leaf and slide (do not allow acid into slide and sight screws), safety lock complete (do not allow acid in spring hole), receiver, side plate, loading gate, and magazine cutoff (if spring not removed - do not allow acids in spring hole)

POLISH: Bolt sleeve, extractor (polish to highlight color), rear sight leaf top (to highlight distance graduations), magazine cutoff side when in ON position

BLACK IN MOLTEN LEAD OR QUENCH IN OIL: Finger piece of trigger

BLACK IN OIL: All exposed screws, pins, and rivets.

CLEANED: All parts not enumerated

Reference included US Arsenal Refinishing Instructions from 1907.
Griffin & Howe completed the job today (about 1 one year later) and sent these two photos ahead:
1000014394.jpeg
1000014394.jpeg (982.29 KiB) Viewed 528 times
1000014399.jpeg
1000014399.jpeg (731.38 KiB) Viewed 528 times
Last edited by P0H0 on Fri May 10, 2024 11:34 pm, edited 11 times in total.

butlersrangers

Re: Two Krag1898 Rifles Restoration Complete

Post by butlersrangers »

The photos of your rebuilt Krag look nice. I hope she performs well for you!

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Beautiful!
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

ebruce

Post by ebruce »

Have followed your original post with interest. Thank you for all the details provided. These pictures are simply outstanding! The work of G/H is remarkable in the extreme. Must now head out the door. Hopefully tonight will be able to sit down and go over everything with greater attention. Thank you for your efforts in completing this project. Sincerely. bruce.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

I’ll post more detailed photos when the rifles arrive this week — these are just what G&H provided by email yesterday.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

While admitting that the end result IS beautiful, the entire process would NOT be my cup of tea. I would FAR rather have a 98-99% un-touched original, than the gussied-up items. An example is the hand-fitted buttplates, and the comments that the bands are 'not quite' interchangeable - not SA practice! I truly wish you all the best, and I laud you for being clear about the serial numbers so that future collectors will know they are not right.

waterman

Post by waterman »

How many really excellent (95% +) originals are left? The last were made almost 120 years ago. And the demand simply wasn't there for most of that time. If I wanted a near-original and IF I could afford a G&H restoration, I'd strongly consider it.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

waterman wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:44 pm How many really excellent (95% +) originals are left? The last were made almost 120 years ago. And the demand simply wasn't there for most of that time. If I wanted a near-original and IF I could afford a G&H restoration, I'd strongly consider it.
To each his own, of course, and it IS an exquisite piece of work, just one not to my taste.

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

I have repaired many Krags, I have not "restored" one.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

IMG_1839.jpeg
IMG_1839.jpeg (387 KiB) Viewed 288 times
Next photo is an original rifle at the National Museum of American Hostory:
IMG_1841.jpeg
IMG_1841.jpeg (263.06 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Last edited by P0H0 on Fri May 10, 2024 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.