What an odd looking Krag

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
TXCoast

What an odd looking Krag

Post by TXCoast »

Saw this 1894 at an auction, and it intrigued me, so I ended up taking it home for a good price. Link to pictures of the rifle https://imgur.com/a/mXjasaO https://imgur.com/a/mXjasaO

It has a 22 inch barrel, but still has what looks to be a full length stock. It kind of looks like a Philippine rifle, but it has no bayonet lug and the barrel is not turned down to accept a bayonet (though it did come with a 1901 marked Krag bayonet).

I've read some mentions of about 10 1894 carbines with "full length stock"s being made, but obviously can't find any pictures of those.

It could possibly be a bubba (stock looks to have been refinished, and metal has been reblued). However, most bubba's would cut it all the way into a carbine, and I've never seen one care enough to make a fit for the cleaning rod.

Per the reddit thread from a guy who seemed pretty knowledgeable:

"The receiver is an early 4-digit serial Model 1892 receiver. It appears never to have undergone the updates to Model 1896 configuration, which is rare. The extractor is an early one; I can’t see enough of the rest of the bolt to say whether or not it’s also early. On an early rifle like this, the follower, magazine door, and sideplate should also be numbered to the gun, so you can check that.

The rear sight is an early (Model 1892) one, and the front sight blade looks like an early one as well. Its likley it was cut off of the original barrel and simply moved back on the new, shortened barrel. The stock is an early one, with the sharp toe angle, which is also rare.

Both the front and middle bands are from different guns, and don’t seem to be US Krag items. The ramrod is similar to a Model 1892 one, but not quite, or at least modified.
The front band looks so well-made - look at the bushing around the rod. There seems to be no evidence of a filled sling swivel mounting near the toe, which all ‘92 rifles had. The buttplate is a ‘92 buttplate, the stock contours are all right for ‘92, but short. The middle band just gets weirder - it’s reminiscent of a model 1896 carbine midband, but that small notch is totally unique, and the ‘96 carbine bands didn’t have a screw at the bottom.

The bolt is mostly ‘92 parts: the bolt body, extractor, and cocking piece shroud are all early. The striker is later."

Anyways, if any of yall know anything else about this one, please let me know! Its an odd one for sure, I'm hoping its something special, but if its not it'll have a good home with me.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: What an odd looking Krag

Post by Ned Butts »

Well that is one interesting Krag. That is the closest looking Krag to a Model 1892 carbine other than Tom Pearce's original that I have seen. I am not near my reference books to dig deeper but some digging needs to be done. Not sure but I think the barrel band should be held by spring not a pin though.

TXCoast

Post by TXCoast »

Ned Butts wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:48 am Well that is one interesting Krag. That is the closest looking Krag to a Model 1892 carbine other than Tom Pearce's original that I have seen. I am not near my reference books to dig deeper but some digging needs to be done. Not sure but I think the barrel band should be held by spring not a pin though.
Please let me know, and/or post some reference pictures if you can. I'm having a heck of a time trying to find any reference photos on google for these early carbines (other than the usual cavalry carbines)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It appears to me, some collector made, (or had made), a replica of the two prototype model 1892 carbines.

The front barrel-band looks pretty good.

The rear barrel-band is fabricated from a modified model 1896 carbine rear-band. The filled area, between the sight-protectors is visible.
Also visible is the seam of the attached 'clamping-lugs', on the bottom of the band.

The front-sight base attachment, to a shortened barrel, is obvious.

The stock and handguard appear to be made of newer wood, with some areas of poor shaping.

Your replica Krag model 1892 carbine should be an interesting display item and shooter.
Attachments
odd 1.jpeg
odd 1.jpeg (214.99 KiB) Viewed 696 times
odd-0.jpeg
odd-0.jpeg (274.11 KiB) Viewed 696 times
odd-4.jpeg
odd-4.jpeg (290.26 KiB) Viewed 696 times
odd-6.jpeg
odd-6.jpeg (385.96 KiB) Viewed 696 times
odd-3.jpeg
odd-3.jpeg (307.7 KiB) Viewed 696 times

TXCoast

Post by TXCoast »

Thank you for the info!

I really do like the way it looks, and knowing its not original means I can safely sell the bayonet that came with it.

I will probably sell my replica Krag carbine and make this my krag example, as I really enjoy the full looks of it.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'TXCoast' - How fun ... More pictures please, when it arrives!
Attachments
odd carb.jpeg
odd carb.jpeg (217.17 KiB) Viewed 655 times

TXCoast

Post by TXCoast »

butlersrangers wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:51 pm 'TXCoast' - How fun ... More pictures please, when it arrives!
I have it with me already; All pictures are the ones I've taken.

Let me know what else you would like to see and I'll get them uploaded. This gun is a real interesting mystery to me

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Oh, I thought the "Imgur" pictures were from the auction site. I find pictures, that are posted 'offsite', to be a PIA.

In a few months, the link will be dead and the thread will lose its KCA education value.
(That is why I captured, edited, and posted, some of the Imgur pics).

More clear detail shots of the front barrel-band and interior shots of the wood and serial number might give further clues.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

I think it's beautiful. I love a short rifle/carbine with a full stock. Nice!
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

TXCoast

Post by TXCoast »

butlersrangers wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:05 am Oh, I thought the "Imgur" pictures were from the auction site. I find pictures, that are posted 'offsite', to be a PIA.

In a few months, the link will be dead and the thread will lose its KCA education value.
(That is why I captured, edited, and posted, some of the Imgur pics).

More clear detail shots of the front barrel-band and interior shots of the wood and serial number might give further clues.
Gotcha. I'll take it apart tonight or this weekend and upload some more pictures. I'll try to attach directly to the thread this time