Hinge pin

U.S. Military Krags
bix49

Hinge pin

Post by bix49 »

Hello,
I have a question. I would like to know if all Krag hinge pins are the same and interchangeable with any rifle? I just purchased a Krag and I know almost nothing about it except it is said to be a Norwegian Krag manufactured by the U.S. military and I believe it's a cut down. The original hinge pin was bent during removal. The one I'm looking at looks the same except for one detail. The small projection just in front of the "leaf like" structure on the pin is smooth on the original but on the one I hope to buy has ridges. Other than that they look identical. I want to be sure so I thought I'd ask the experts.
Thank you

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: Hinge pin

Post by Ned Butts »

Please post the markings on the receiver. The original designers were Norwegian and there are Norwegian versions and Danish versions so receiver markings will be helpful.

bix49

Post by bix49 »

I'm having a problem posting a picture but what I find on the left side of the receiver :
model 18 U.S.
springfield armory 208859
I didn't find anything else on the receiver or anyplace else.
Hopefully this is helpful.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It sounds like your Krag, serial number 208859, is an 'altered' U.S. Rifle model of 1898, manufactured at Springfield Armory, around June of 1899.

The U.S. rifle (first adopted in 1892) was based on the design of Norwegian inventors, Johannes Ole Krag and Eric Jorgensen.

Norway (in 1894) and Denmark (in 1889) also adopted the Krag-Jorgensen design. Although having similar parts and function, the U.S., Danish, and Norwegian Krag models are significantly different and the parts do not interchange.

U.S. parts are the most plentiful and easiest to find.

The U.S. magazine-gate hinge pin is easily found on eBay and seems to be standard through all U.S. Krag models.
(Note - The attached photo shows a 'pin' that appears to have marks from having been gripped in a vise.
The 'pin' needs to be straight, with any burrs smoothed out, so that the pin does not bind and rotate, as the magazine-gate is operated).
Attachments
U.S. hinge-pin.jpeg
U.S. hinge-pin.jpeg (634.17 KiB) Viewed 374 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bix49

Post by bix49 »

Thanks for the information butlersrangers. One more question though. Is it considered a U.S. Krag seeing how it was made at the Springfield Armory?

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Springfield armory is in Massachusetts, and consequently in the United States ("US") of America. The armory was operated by and for the U.S. federal government.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Some things are so well known to most Krag enthusiasts that it is hard to consider the perspective of a newbie.

All American Krags were made at the 'original' Springfield Armory, (which operated from 1792 to 1968), in Massachusetts.
The various U.S. service Krags were produced from 1894 to 1903, and possibly into 1904.

(Note - The U.S. Arsenal should not be confused with a private Illinois company called Springfield Armory, which after 1968 has built a lineup of 1911 pistols, M1-A rifles, and M1 Garand rifle copies).

The Norwegian Krag rifles and carbine models were built at the Kongsberg Arms Factory, in Norway,
except for some early Norwegian model 1894 rifles, that were built by Steyr in Austria.

The Danish Krags were built by government arsenals in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Last edited by butlersrangers on Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bix49

Post by bix49 »

My thanks to all, and yes I am a newbie. I thank you for your knowledge and patience.