What an odd looking Krag

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
TXCoast

Re: What an odd looking Krag

Post by TXCoast »

butlersrangers wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:26 am It appears to me, some collector made, (or had made), a replica of the two prototype model 1892 carbines.

The front barrel-band looks pretty good.

The rear barrel-band is fabricated from a modified model 1896 carbine rear-band. The filled area, between the sight-protectors is visible.
Also visible is the seam of the attached 'clamping-lugs', on the bottom of the band.

The front-sight base attachment, to a shortened barrel, is obvious.

The stock and handguard appear to be made of newer wood, with some areas of poor shaping.

Your replica Krag model 1892 carbine should be an interesting display item and shooter.
I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to try to turn this into a clone of the Phillipine constabulary rifles. I'd just need a couple barrel bands and to turn down the barrel to fit a bayonet

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

IMO - It is much more interesting in its current configuration.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

butlersrangers wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:35 am IMO - It is much more interesting in its current configuration.
Absolutely
If you prefer a constabulary clone I have one I would trade you

ebruce

Post by ebruce »

Oh my!!! That is a perfectly delightful little rifle! Due to my general ignorance, I'd not have known it was anything other than genuine. Sincerely. bruce.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The evolution of early Krag carbine barrel-bands per Mallory.

Note - The prototype 1892 bands were retained by a 'stock-pin' and clamping band-screw.

The 1896 carbine band was made solid and retained by a band-spring inletted into the right-side of the stock.
Attachments
carbine bands.JPG
carbine bands.JPG (678.3 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

William Brophy gave good detail on the model 1892 prototype carbine in his book, "The Krag Rifle".

The front barrel-band has a very discrete "U", turned sideways.
The rear barrel-band clamps with a screw and is retained by a cross-pin, through the stock, just like the regular Krag rifles.

The carbine sling-ring & bar are positioned back on the wrist area of the stock.

It is believed only two or possibly three of these prototype carbines were made, (with possible variations of parts).

(The photographed 1894 dated carbine, serial number 1015, is in the museum at Rock Island Arsenal).
Attachments
Brophy.JPG
Brophy.JPG (538.4 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
Brophy carb edit.JPG
Brophy carb edit.JPG (183.01 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
carbine 1892 brophy.JPG
carbine 1892 brophy.JPG (1009.65 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
carbine model 1892 edit.JPG
carbine model 1892 edit.JPG (918.32 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
carbine 1892 edit.JPG
carbine 1892 edit.JPG (985 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Interesting piece. Almost certainly NOT right, but still interesting. I would not touch ANYTHING, not one iota, until it is further explored, on the off-chance that some of the parts might be real. The stock is the biggest fail as it is not a thin-wrist, and the butt profile appears funky. BIG question - is the wood spliced at the band? Since the grasping grooves are short, it is NOT a bubba'd rifle stock, and if it IS one piece, we might have some re-thinking to do. Why would anyone go to the trouble of reworking the the screw-boss profile on the band? Why not make the sight-notch fill invisible? Why the little notch? Why an 1892 sight? Does the rod thread in? What is the serail number? More questions than answers . . . . I repeat caution of not doing anything to it as long as there is even a thread of doubt as to what it REALLY is.

TXCoast

Post by TXCoast »

Dick Hosmer wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:44 am Interesting piece. Almost certainly NOT right, but still interesting. I would not touch ANYTHING, not one iota, until it is further explored, on the off-chance that some of the parts might be real. The stock is the biggest fail as it is not a thin-wrist, and the butt profile appears funky. BIG question - is the wood spliced at the band? Since the grasping grooves are short, it is NOT a bubba'd rifle stock, and if it IS one piece, we might have some re-thinking to do. Why would anyone go to the trouble of reworking the the screw-boss profile on the band? Why not make the sight-notch fill invisible? Why the little notch? Why an 1892 sight? Does the rod thread in? What is the serail number? More questions than answers . . . . I repeat caution of not doing anything to it as long as there is even a thread of doubt as to what it REALLY is.
OK,

so there does not appear to be a "u" marking on the front band, and upon closer inspection, it also looks like it was made (has the same markings/evidence as the other barrel band). Further, upon looking at those pictures the saddle ring on the 1892 carbine prototype would have been much further back on the wrist than this one.

However, the stock also does not look to have been spliced to me. The cleaning rod spins but doesn't seem to unscrew. I haven't been able to remove it yet.

Serial number of this gun is 3545.

I also saw some marks on the bottom of the barrel.

I'm thinking this was someone's attempt to make a 1892 prototype clone, and used a full length krag rifle to do so.
Attachments
Resized_20240605_112549.jpeg
Resized_20240605_112549.jpeg (346.1 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Resized_20240605_112542.jpeg
Resized_20240605_112542.jpeg (339.85 KiB) Viewed 775 times

TXCoast

Post by TXCoast »

Bumping this up in case anyone else has any insight into it. Its super interesting, would be neat to find it if it was real (though it almost certainly isn't)