New here, new to Krags, but love the history!

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Re: New here, new to Krags, but love the history!

Post by Whig »

First Krag in 1962 Waterman??? Wow! That's the year I was born! You've got a few on me.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

IMO - A higher cheek position helps performance with scopes and receiver sights on an 'altered' Krag.

Attached photo shows a couple of add-on solutions, that lessen neck strain during a leisurely Range Session.
Attachments
IMG_0748 (2).JPG
IMG_0748 (2).JPG (270.14 KiB) Viewed 593 times

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

That's a good idea. I have an M1D Garand leather cheek riser pad. I'm gonna try it out on my Krag to see how it Fits.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Whig wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:52 pm ... Antique, by definition for firearms, is that any firearm made on January 1, 1899 or later is a deadly weapon that must be registered with the Feds. ...
Wait. What? Conflating two ideas? Maybe I read it wrongly.

Here is the statutory definition.

https://uscode.house.gov/statutes/pl/90/618.pdf
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Whig

Post by Whig »

Culpeper,

If I wrote it wrong, I was thinking backwards. I meant to say that any firearm made before January 1, 1899 is considered antique and does not need to be officially registered with the BATFE. I didn't read through the pages you referenced. Is there another statement that conflicts with what I just stated?

A Krag, therefore, made on December 31, 1898 does not need a 4473 form for purchase or transfer. A Krag made 1 day later on January 1, 1899 is a deadly weapon that needs official registration with the feds to make sure that you are not a felon or president's son who uses crack on a daily basis.

I think I wrote this correctly this time!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

You were just thinking backwards for a moment. Like we are all prone to do from time to time.

However I would be remiss to not point out the word or term "deadly" is not in the federal law. A post 1898 firearm, a legal term, is just a "weapon".

"... A Krag made 1 day later on January 1, 1899 is a deadly weapon that needs official registration with the feds to make sure that you are not a felon or president's son who uses crack on a daily basis. ..."

(3) The term 'firearm' means (A) any weapon (including a starter
gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel
H projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver
of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
(D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique
firearm.

A very small detail, yes, but we must be on our guard to not use words the Anti's can latch onto and use against us and our rights.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio