What Ammo Is This?

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
White_Collar

What Ammo Is This?

Post by White_Collar »

A lady's husband passed away and she was selling 6 boxes of ammo, 4 boxes contained 54 rounds each and 2 contained 65 rounds each. The headstamp of each round has "VI46" at the top, a "4" on the left and an "8" on the right, with "HA" at the bottom. The "8" has the imprint of a triangle on top of it. The bullet appears to have a "silver" coloring and from the mouth of the cartridge to the tip is 1" long. Only one box has any markings and tape covers some of that. It has "65 stk" showing. Under that is "6,5 mm patroner m. 1946 ru." Under that is the stamped date, "21 SEP 1950." I am hopefully attaching a picture of two rounds I photographed. Any information would be appreciated.Image

kerry49

Re: What Ammo Is This?

Post by kerry49 »

I believe you have 6.5x55 ammo , for the Swedish Mauser primarily. Mfg by Haerens ammunition Arsenal, Denmark. This from picture 517, page 228 of Crown Jewels, The Mauser in Sweden by Dana Jones. It's reported there to cause dangerous barrel fouling and therefore dangerous to shoot. Hopefully some others will be able to add to this.
Kerry
Ps. The 6.5x55 was also used in Norway in their Krag rifles

Parashooter

Re: What Ammo Is This?

Post by Parashooter »

Here's a picture including the headstamp. And yes, this is the stuff reputed to generate hazardous amounts of cupronickel bore fouling.