Safe to shoot with modern ammo?

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
sds1861

Safe to shoot with modern ammo?

Post by sds1861 »

I have an original 1892 Krag rifle in fine condition. Are these rifles safe to shoot with modern factory loaded ammo? I have some SuperX 180 grain silver tip and some older SuperX full jacketed round nose.
Steve

madsenshooter

Re: Safe to shoot with modern ammo?

Post by madsenshooter »

Mine are safe with the available loads. Check yours out of course, make sure the bore isn't full of something, etc. Otherwise, no reason to be afraid to pull the trigger.

8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

All original 1892 Krags are extremely rare. I was under the impression that they were armory converted to the 1896 configuration.

I'm not so sure that I would fire this rifle due to it's collector's value.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Collector's value is subjective... and depends on condition and just how much is original. Pictures would help with this. That said... I don't own a gun I haven't fired at least once. Like Madsenshooter said... it should be safe, but if you're really concerned, then have a gunsmith (one who knows antique weapons, and not just high power hunting rifles) give it the once over.

sds1861

Post by sds1861 »

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. As for photos, I can't get even get one of my photos to load on this website due to my files being too large. If anyone wants a set emailed directly to them, just send me a direct email at sds1861@aol.com. As to condition and originality, the gun is 100% righteous down to every single part and in excellent unmolested condition. I'll put it up against any specimen out there. It appears to never have been apart. Serial #7590.
Kindest regards,
Steve Stevens

KWK

Post by KWK »

I long thought the 40000 psi given by SAAMI was too hot, but reading old Army Ordnance reports from the 1890s says they were loading to over 40000 at times. Still, I prefer to load lower. Modern powders will match the original performance at under 34000.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Email sent to you Steve, watch for nutrinutbob, in case it hits your spam box.