KRAG BRASS

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Kerz

Re: KRAG BRASS

Post by Kerz »

New brass is manufactured to dimensional tolerances, but not the dimensions of sized brass. All ammo is FL sized when manufactured. Once the brass has been loaded and shot, it can then be Neck-Sized because the brass will be fire-formed to your chamber

Hey Paul, Like you I also purchased the Graft brass but I also got some .303 from Midway. That was before Grafts had it available. Once I get it back from Chuck Moline (new barrel), I'll work up some loads.
Anyway, have you been successful with loading .303?
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I haven't... but I know someone in Texas who has loaded hundreds with great success. Just set the OAL to the same dimensions as with 30-40 brass and you'll be fine. The cannelure will not align with the case neck, but that's ok if you're using RN bullets.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I've loaded .303, PRVI brand. I also converted some PRVI .303 blanks to full length 30-40. Capacity of the new PRVI is about 6gr less than one that has been fireformed to the Krag chamber. The .303 has more body taper than the Krag. With the shorter .303 I generally use long bullets, 180gr or heavier. With jacketed bullets, for my rifles with a .310 groove diameter, I use .310 or .311 bullets made for the .303 or Russians, and with my .308 groove diameter barrel I use .308 bullets. Long bullets allow you to seat out to Krag length, if you disregard the crimp groove. But there's still plenty of shank in the caseneck.