Krag Ammo Now Obsolete?! =(

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Stretch32

Re: Krag Ammo Now Obsolete?! =(

Post by Stretch32 »

I'm in NV and a vendor at the local gunshows has it from time to time. They sell it for $29 a box of 20 plus a military discount. Not sure if we can expect a slight decrease in price if Remington does in fact produce more.

Stretch

Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I've found a few supplies here or there, some stuff on Gunbroker, some stuff from various online dealers to whom I've written to inform me when available. I've found some at local gun ranges or gun shows from "antique ammo" but it's certainly not like it was a year or two ago when you could just buy a whole case of Remington Core Lokts.

I have written Winchester and Remington with the usual canned corporate reply back, maybe if enough of us pester them we can get the factory ammo, or at least the brass still being made.

I'm certainly keeping the brass, eventually this may be the caliber that leads me to reloading but thankfully not running short, yet. This lack of ammo has curtailed my shooting though.

Good luck to all
A

engineeringpunk

Post by engineeringpunk »

Hey guys...I found something not sure if anyone else has.

There is someone making new brass in .30-40 Krag as it turns out.

Check out Graf and Sons:
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/73152

It's not particularly well priced, but it is available. They also happen to have some loaded .30-40 krag in in stock as well, but it's that PCI stuff at $1.90/rd. Not sure how good that stuff is.

I recently bought some Load-X .30-40 krag from Ventura Munitions that came labled as "new ammo" and it's all in .30-40 brass with a GRAF headstamp.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I know that PCI is making ammo using the new GRAF stamped brass. I didn't know about Load-X however. I would be very careful with some of these new loads initially. Although we all know that the Remington and Winchester manufactured rounds are safe in Krags, I can't say for certain that some of these others are. Remember, Winchester 1895 and Ruger #3 rifles can handle significantly higher pressures than the 40,000 CUP that our beloved Krags are limited to. Just like the 45/70, where some of the ammo available commercially is loaded to pressures that FAR exceed a Trapdoor (Marlin 336, and other modern guns come to mind), some of these new 30-40 ammos might be loaded very hot to be used in more modern rifles. Just be safe, and know what you're feeding your Krag!