Suggestions for Repairing Shortened Stock Butt

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Stretch32

Suggestions for Repairing Shortened Stock Butt

Post by Stretch32 »

I have a friend who has an 1899 (or possibly 1898) Krag carbine stock. For the most part it's in overall good condition however, at some point, somebody sawed off about 2 inches or so from the heel of the stock. This obviously prevents the butt plate from mounting correctly but also ruins a rare and expensive carbine stock.

I've repaired stocks before but have only delt with attaching new fore ends to return sporter stocks back to correct rifle length. I've never really given much thought or attempted to repair a shortened heel.

Besides the obvious issue of blending a seam (probably impossible actually) is there any way to actually splice on a new heel from a donor stock? I guess I'd pin and Acra-glass the new heel to the butt stock so it's solid but I'm not sure how to go about cutting the pieces so they'd line up correctly. I guess I'm not sure how I'd measure the pieces / cuts to butt together with minimal sanding and filling (maybe some common datum between the 2 stocks?).

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I might do this? Has anybody ever actually done this repair themselves?

Stretch

psteinmayer

Re: Suggestions for Repairing Shortened Stock Butt

Post by psteinmayer »

Interesting proposition. I suppose it could be done. You would have to lay the stocks next to each other and cut both at the exact same location and in the exact same orientation, past the point of the original cut, just to make sure you have straight edges at the exact same location. Then, using dowels or pins... and a very good structural epoxy, bond them together with significant pressure to prevent any gaps. Of course, you would have a visible seam, as it would be nearly impossible to match the grain exactly! Still, it would be useable anyway.

Hoot

Post by Hoot »

It is frequently done with sporting shotguns. From lengthening the butt to full butt transplants (wrist back). There are even talented artisans who will match the grain. Results are invisible. I would assume, however, that they are not cheap. What has been suggested will work. The smoothest, straightest seam and high clamping force should minimize the joint. Matching the finish will likely be a 'try and see' process. A complete refinish would help to match up everything. Before and after pictures would be appreciated from my standpoint.

Good luck!

Edited to add => http://www.marklarsongunart.com/#!extension-blending-portfolio

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Sounds challenging. Your stock may have been sanded, the donor may not have been, or vice versa, but any mistmatch that brought about could be sanded out. I have one of what you would need, but it is from a thin wristed 92/96 and I think there would be some difference in the comb. I might need it myself someday, and I've not seen it for awhile anyway.

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

Just realized I put this in the reloading forum, sorry about that. I guess I spend a lot of time here :-)

I think it can be done fairly easily if the measurements are all good and the cuts made correctly. Acra-glass Gel and Epoxy (which I have) are pretty great adhesives and would do the job very well. I also have a 5' long clamp just for clamping rifle stocks together to provide the required pressure for a strong bond. I've used it to attach fore ends on both a Krag rifle and a 1903A3 C-stock and they have held up very well.

I also found a gent on milsurp.com who repairs stock (and does great work) who offered to do the repair for a reasonable sum. I may go that route only because 1. it's a real Krag carbine stock and I don't want to mess it up any more and 2. he appears to have the wood grain blending figured out very well and could make the repair almost invisible.

I'll keep y'all posted on what I do but I'm moving soon so this may take a back seat until April when I get sorted at my new location.

Stretch

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Sounds like you may have it well in hand!

When you heading this way??? Plan on making a side trip through the mitten to say hello...