Broad Plinking Load Question

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Stretch32

Broad Plinking Load Question

Post by Stretch32 »

I'm going to load up some plinking rounds for a cut down rifle my dad just bought and wanted to hear what guys are shooting for a mild recoil plinking load in rifles / carbines with 22-24" barrels. I know this is a broad topic but figured I needed to start somewhere.

For powders I currently have H4895, IMR 4350 and IMR 3031. Additionally, I have some 220 grain FMJ RN projectiles (which I'dl ike to save for the rifle I currently shoot) as well as some 190 grain RNFP GC cast lead boolits. I was considering some Speer 180 or 220 grain RNSP projectiles as an alternative if they were practical for a lighter recoil load.

If you would let me know what you're shooting in your carbine and thanks in advance.

Stretch

psteinmayer

Re: Broad Plinking Load Question

Post by psteinmayer »

Howdy bud,

Ok... if you really want some light plinking loads, and you don't mind buying some bullets, then get some Hornady 150gr RN bullets (made for the 30-30). You can find load data for all of those powders, but I would go with the 3031. I have a friend who loads these bullets with (don't know his charge) 3031, and he routinely wins matches shooting it. He said that the recoil is very mild which helps with Off-Hand.

Save the 220 gr FMJRN bullets for matches! I've used the Sierra 220 gr RN bullets, but they don't perform as well as the Hornady for me, so I only use them in a pinch... but I would use them for plinking!

Happy shooting :)

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. After shooting the rifle some with my current rifle load the recoil is pretty mild. I may just load up some 220 grain Hornady bullets and let him have at it. I'll look into some 150 grain rounds as well just to try them out.

Thanks again.

Stretch

GBertolet

Post by GBertolet »

I would go with the cast bullets. Use SR 4759 or 2400 powder for around 1500 fps. Easy on the gun and brass. I have found with cast bullets of decent quality and properly sized, they will shoot just as well as the jacketed bullets in the Krag. You will need a Lyman M neck expander die or equivalent, for cast, to prevent bullet shaving upon seating. You will have to only neck size the brass also, due to the low pressures involved.