Bought a Krag, where to start?

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
madsenshooter

Re: Bought a Krag, where to start?

Post by madsenshooter »

Where to begin for a beginner? Good advice above. A known alloy is good, Lyman #2 will get you up to full Krag velocity and makes pretty bullets. 311284, from NOE Bullet Molds is a good choice. They'll feed well in about any Krag. Slugging, you'll get different measurements because there are two dimensions you're after. Bore diameter will be the smaller measurement, you're measuring the distance from the top of one land to the top of the one opposite it, generally .301 on Krag barrels, but variable. Biggest thing this dimension is useful is if you have a boreriding bullet, you want the borerider to be the same as bore diameter or a few thousandths larger. Groove diameter is the big measure, and that's the one you want to fill with your bullets. In Krags that will run anywhere from .307-.314 with the majority being .310. Oversize lead bullets do raise pressure some, but not nearly as much as an oversized jacketed bullet. I have some interesting examples loaded that came out .3145 after sizing and lubing. I found they just fit an unsized Remington 30-40 caseneck. I can almost seat them with my fingers. Need to get some range time to shoot em. Simplest sizing is the Lee push through dies, but you need to get the right size. Gas blowing past a bullet will lead up your bore quickly. Down side of the Lee push through is you still need to lube the bullets somehow. I will sometimes lube at a larger diameter than what I'm going to use, if I'm going for .311 I'll lube with a .312 size and lube die (or larger if the bullet casts larger), then finish by pushing the bullet through a .311 sizer. I know you're trying to get it all at once, but there's a lot to know and experience is the best teacher. Little steps at a time, and that goes for the velocities too. If you start out with full velocity loads, chances are you won't be happy with the results, get frustrated and quit. You can PM me anytime you want, either here, or on castboolits.com, with the same username

Flatlander15

Post by Flatlander15 »

Thanks all for the help. I just ordered a Lee Big Dipper furnace, ladle,

This https://www.midwayusa.com/product/613249/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-c309-160-1r-30-caliber-309-diameter-160-grain-1-ogive-radius-gas-check,

This https://www.midwayusa.com/product/188719/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-358-158-rf-38-special-357-magnum-38-colt-new-police-38-s-and-w-358-diameter-158-grain-flat-nose, and [url][/url]

And Midways hardball 2% Tin, 6% Antimony, 92% Lead alloy. My Krag is at the smiths. Unfortunately, after calling every smith in a 1.5 hour radius and not a single one has the 30-40 headspace gauges. I'm sill having it slugged so if i need to fine tune the bullet size and get a new mold so be it.

I figure, I might as well learn how to cast in the meantime and save up for the press, lube and sizer, shell length guide and trimmer, powder, primers, various dies and whatnot later next month. The .309 double mold won't be much of a loss if it's not the right size.

I also got the 38/357 mold to start reloading 38 special for a Rossi 92. Why not, right? Lastly, the alloy seemed a bit expensive when comparing to... Well, anywhere else, but I already had a order with them and it only added $1.00 for shipping. Once I get the hang of basic casting I'll order a larger quantity of Lyman #2 alloy. I'm going to hit up the second hand stores here to get something for skimming the impurities and a old cookie sheet that I'll line with a towel for the bullets to cool off on.

This is exciting!

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

If the .309 isn't big enough, there's a couple 7.62x39 or .303 molds that will throw one big enough. The tumble lube bullet shoots pretty good from mine.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/562844/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-c312-185-1r-303-british-312-diameter-185-grain-1-ogive-radius-gas-check

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/339539/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-ctl312-160-2r-762x39mm-312-diameter-160-grain-tumble-lube-2-ogive-radius-gas-check

Flatlander15

Post by Flatlander15 »

Ok so some unfortunate events happened to fall upon one of the dogs and priorities have been temporarily shifted. I sold unused molds, ingots, furnace, dipper, etc etc before I got to use them. Could be much worse.

I got my Krag back from the smith who had it for slugging. The measurements he gave me are .302 and .3085

I've got 50 unprimed cases, and a Lee loading kit on layaway so casting will be in the distant future and I will start with just buying components and rolling my own.

Based on these measurements, what bullets would anybody recommend for making the lightest recoiling plinking rounds?

My head is spinning when it comes to dimensions and I'm probably over thinking again.

Would these work? -http://www.midwayusa.com/product/959561/meister-hard-cast-bullets-30-30-winchester-309-diameter-165-grain-lead-flat-nose-box-of-500

I probably won't ever shoot 500 rounds out of it in my lifetime but for 11 cents per bullet I won't complain.

How about these?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2046160674/hunters-supply-hard-cast-bullets-30-caliber-309-diameter-115-grain-lead-round-nose

One reviewer said he loaded them for light 30-30 plinking loads so maybe it could work?

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you in advance. I'll try to absorb as much as I can.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

If all you are intending to do is some plinking and target shooting, then why the cast? Why not standard jacketed bullets? If you want light loads, you could shoot a Hornady 150 gr RN bullet, which should run around $25 for 100 bullets. I have a friend who shoots these in CMP matches with his 1896, and routinely WINS the matches! His load are light enough so that the recoil in the off hand position is quite manageable.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

For short range plinking, ".32 cal." pistol bullets can do the job with a light charge of pistol powder like Bullseye or Red Dot. Accuracy is often excellent out to 50 yards or more.

img
MISSOURI BULLET COMPANY CAST 32c (.313) 100gr RNFP CB #6 500/BX
Our Price: $37.29
$0.07 per round
In Stock
Item #: MB313100CB [Grafs.com]