Krag Bayonet Catch Missing

For poking fun and off topic subjects
7th1st

Krag Bayonet Catch Missing

Post by 7th1st »

I have a nice Krag bayonet and scabbard but the latch/button is missing like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Krag-Bayonet/124167169979?hash=item1ce8f0a7bb:g:GgUAAOSwhQlepdUD

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix it? I can't see how one could get that done.

butlersrangers

Re: Krag Bayonet Catch Missing

Post by butlersrangers »

'7th1st' - I don't believe I have ever seen loose Krag 'Bayonet
Catch' parts available.

There would have to be three parts: catch, spring, and button.

The button must screw onto a threaded-shaft, that is part of the catch, (like a 'nut'). Once assembled, it is likely the end of the shaft was 'peened' and finished to blend in with the button.

Possibly, the catch mechanism does not easily come apart without marring or damaging the components.

Potential source for parts, (if loose ones cannot be found): a ruined Krag bayonet.

Maybe Swiss Schmidt-Rubin or K-31 bayonet parts, if available, could be fitted to work.
(The Krag bayonet was copied from the Swiss bayonet. Swiss bayonets are so expensive now, this is a silly idea).

IMHO - As much as I like to salvage things, you would be well advised to cut your loses and buy a better Krag bayonet.ImageImage

7th1st

Re: Krag Bayonet Catch Missing

Post by 7th1st »

Thanks for the advice. It is probably for the best to forget about it. Too bad though...it is a nice bayonet.