Hyposcope revisited

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
butlersrangers

Hyposcope revisited

Post by butlersrangers »

Recently in 'Chit-Chat', I entered a post regarding "Youlten's Butt Hyposcope. A periscope device that mounted on the butt-stock of the Short Magazine Lee-Enfield.

I was in error thinking it was a device used simply to view the enemy from the safety of the trenches (like the bayonet mounted mirrors).

In reality, when clamped to the rifle butt, it allowed sighting a rifle (held in a frame at the lip of the trench) that was remotely fired from the safety of the trench.

'Flipping' through Franklin Mallory's, "The Krag Rifle Story", the other day, I 'rediscovered' his mentioning a similar Hyposcope at the National Matches in 1903 (at Sea Girt, N.J.):

"... A special event at this Match was the Hyposcope Match. The Hyposcope was a periscope-like sight which attached to the rifle and allowed the user to fire from behind a barricade".
(The Krag Rifle Story, 2nd edition, page 99).

Have at Paul. Game On! Image

butlersrangers

Re: Hyposcope revisited

Post by butlersrangers »

'Elder - type Periscope Stock' - Things got pretty sophisticated about 15 years later.

Note - The rifle bolt is worked remotely and the '03 Springfield has been fitted with a large capacity magazine.Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Holy Rock-A-Moly!!! See if one can get away with this rig at Perry??? LOL

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Well, there is an historic basis for the "Krag Hyposcope Match". They fired it in the 1903 NM.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I guess 'Heinz' had one too!Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Pretty wild set-up. Looks like this was a shouldered stock like device and trigger that allowed sighting and firing from the shoulder up over the top from the relative safety of the trench.

I want one!