Group buy of .30-40 brass by the forum members

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
psteinmayer

Re: Group buy of .30-40 brass by the forum members

Post by psteinmayer »

I got the following response from Quality Cartridge today:

Paul,

We don't currently produce the 30-40 Krag. We can add you to a list if you like and advise if/when this becomes available. Our minimum combined run for this would be approx. 10,000 pieces and time to get tooling is approx. 18 months. Provide us with all you contact info and we will let you know if/when we decide to run this. If you have any questions, we will be more than happy to help,

Thank you,

Pete at Quality Cartridge

SC

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

IMHO, you've been (politely) told to bugger off. They're clearly not interested. I can probably understand the 10,000 rounds, but the 18 months for tooling is just plain insulting. IF they really wanted to make the effort, I'd think 18 days would not be impossible, given today's machining capabilities, especially if they currently make .303 British.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I agree. When I checked their products, they only produce odd-ball calibers, with the exception of 30-06 and .303. I was just a little offended with the curtness of their reply!

When I have a little more time, I'm going to write Privi and Remington too. I read somewhere that Remington is still producing 30-40 (regardless of what Midway said), and they are still planning a seasonal run for this fall.

bote

Post by bote »

Any trouble with cases made from 303Brit?

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Reformed .303 is ok to use... but the case will definitely be shorter, and won't have the proper head stamp (not a problem if you don't shoot .303... i.e. wrong round for the wrong gun). I would just rather have the right stuff to begin with.

rjc324

Post by rjc324 »

I'm sure many of you use facebook from time to time, I have not seen this in any forum yet, but if it has been posted already I apologize. There are several brass groups on facebook which offer for sale or trade various calibers, including 30-40 Krag cases. I've picked up about 100 once fired Winchester cases in the past year, so it might be worth your time to subscribe to a group called "The Brass Bank', "Reloading 101 Learning the art", and "The Brass Connection". I hope that this helps someone.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I'm a member of "The Brass Bank" on FB. Nice bunch of guys for the most part, but you have to be accepted as a member of the group via request. I've purchased some brass there... but just so everyone knows, 30-40 brass is a very rare commodity there. Most of the people in that group are selling brass that they pick up at ranges. Some good deals... and some not-so-good deals! I'm betting that most shooters save their 30-40, which is why it just doesn't come up much, IMHO.

FredC

Post by FredC »

One of the members here said that Remington will be doing another run of 30/40 brass this fall, maybe we could all contact or favorite reloading supplier and because of all the inquiries, they will do a bigger run?

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I'd be in for a couple hundred if they do!

BM1455

Post by BM1455 »

I'd be in for a couple hundred if they do!

Me too.