Trouble on First Outing

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
butlersrangers

Re: Trouble on First Outing

Post by butlersrangers »

This has gotten more complicated.

We started with a bolt that would 'hang-up', even on occasion while single-loading a cartridge.

Now, it is coupled with a magazine 'feed problem'.

IMHO - First the bolt 'hanging-up', on single-loaded cartridges, needs to be solved. When that is rectified, then magazine feeding & ammunition issues can be addressed.

As I now understand it: 'Annapolis' has a model 1892 Krag-Jorgensen, that was given the model 1896 'updates'.

This introduces quite a range of Parts possibilities: 4 different magazine cutoffs (all should work), 3 different Bolts & combinations of different bolt sub-assemblies (most should work), 2 different magazine side-plates (1892 & 1896) and their variations, and the possibility of the wrong (1898) follower-assembly having been installed. There is also the possibility of worn, broken or damaged parts.

(Of course, when this model 1892 Krag was updated in the early 1900s, the ammo it was tested with was the 220 grain U.S. Army rounds).

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I think I have identified the main problems and I am leaning towards bullet profile. I could be wrong but will know more when Annapolis and I run some round nose bullets in the old girl then I will know if I am mistaken or am proven much smarter than I think I am by a lucky guess.

I am loading up my very first krag rounds tonight with a pound of 4350 from the pile. I won't be able to get with Annapolis until next week because I have a wedding to go to in another souverign land.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

A Pound??? How you gonna get that much powder in one case??? LOL

Let us know how things work out on this, as I'm sure that the results will help solve problems for many others too!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Oh that's right. Annapolis and I forgot to mention that we rebarreled both of the krags to accept a wildcat round called .30-40-75mm. We found a couple dozen 75mm cases in an antique shop. These are for the French 75mm guns used in the Great War.

We had some dies made to reform the cut down cases and put a new shoulder on it. The neck is then reshaped to look like the Krag cartridge minus the base.

Velocity is 2900 and the effective range is eleven kilometers (it's partially French afterall)

Yeah. A pound of powder. Sheesh. Some people's kids.

:)

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

>~~~~ Snicker ~~~~< :D

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I think 92 sideplates help with sptizer feeding in mine. 22018 I think was made with a 96 sideplate that I replaced with a 92 and it works better. But it can still be fussy about OAL and point configuration. Pushing on the shoulder of the cases before closing the magazine gate helps too, raises the nose higher. With one follower I have to, with another I don't have to to.