Brass Availability?

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
JR

Brass Availability?

Post by JR »

Anyone know who may have 30-40 brass available? Ive tried the usual places, Midway, Graff, Midsouth, Brownells, Powder Valley, Buffalo, etc and all are out of stock...

Think it was Buffalo Arms listed as discontinued...sure hope WW isn't dropping the line as I really like their brass...

Thanks...

psteinmayer

Re: Brass Availability?

Post by psteinmayer »

I believe it is a seasonal thing with 30-40 brass. I've heard of others on another forum talking about making brass from .303, but I believe that is unnecessary. 30-40 brass should become available this winter... and there is usually once-fired available on Gunbroker and EBay. Another route you could go would be to get some Remington or Winchester factory ammo... and once you've shot it, save the brass and you'll replenish your stock.

JR

Post by JR »

Thanks psteinmayer ,
That's what I presumed also. Ive about 50 cases that should tide me over until they start production again.
Appreciate the reply.

RichWIS

Post by RichWIS »

Several months ago I e-mailed Winchester and asked about ammo, reply said it was on the list for a seasonal run this fall but no date set for production. If in dire need a company called HMS sells custom ammo loaded in new R-P brass and will ship. Even with shipping (assuming you buy more than a box or two) it was cheaper than I could find it for locally.

shuvelrider

Post by shuvelrider »

I just saw a stack of Rem ammo this morning at my LGS, at $40 a box. I traded some .223 ammo for two boxes of 30-40 to go with the Krag I left his store with. That is here in Muskegon Michigan.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

No more Krag brass? My Hepburn in .40-70 Sharps Straight uses Krag cases reformed & stretched. But now Hornady is making something like a .405 Winchester in some sort of basic length. If Krag brass can be stretched, the Hornady basic stuff can be necked down & trimmed.

2 days ago, I saw a Lee-Enfield that had been converted to .223. The owner/builder said mainly it was just a technical challenge, but was done also because of ammo availability. Discounting action strength, could you do that with a Krag?

FredC

Post by FredC »

A little over a year ago I got 300 30/40 Remington cases from Graf's. This was after Sinclairs canceled an order and said Remington had discontinued 30/40.
Just hang in there and keep checking.
One of these days I will get the 25/06 that I have been chasing.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

No more Krag brass? My Hepburn in .40-70 Sharps Straight uses Krag cases reformed & stretched. But now Hornady is making something like a .405 Winchester in some sort of basic length. If Krag brass can be stretched, the Hornady basic stuff can be necked down & trimmed.

2 days ago, I saw a Lee-Enfield that had been converted to .223. The owner/builder said mainly it was just a technical challenge, but was done also because of ammo availability. Discounting action strength, could you do that with a Krag?

Several gunsmiths made high-grade (single-shot) Krag varmint rifles, back in the 50s-60s, often in 'wildcat' calibers such as the .219 Donaldson Wasp, .22 K-Hornet, etc. With a really light bullet, you can obtain decent velocities at Krag pressures. I'd think that with today's more sophisticated powders one could do even better.

rjc324

Post by rjc324 »

There is a facebook group called "The Brass Bank" which has had several offerings of once fired Krag brass for a reasonable amout. Picked up 45+ WW cases for about $18.00 a month ago. Just a suggestion of where to look.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I just requested to join The Brass Bank. I think a friend of mine from my former job is a member of that group... and that's where I got 50 rounds of once fired Krag brass last year. We'll see if they except me.