Finally settled on a match load

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
psteinmayer

Re: Finally settled on a match load

Post by psteinmayer »

That's a good question. I ordered the Sierra 220s this spring because the Hornady are becoming hard to get (seasonal run from here on out). I can tell you that the Sierra bullets have a slightly different profile, with a little more pronounced taper from the nose to the cannelure. Also, the cannelure is a little more forward which leave more bearing surface in the case neck. This should hold the bullet in alignment through the throat. I'll know for sure in the next CMP match at Kalamazoo in a few weeks.

Keith Herrington

Post by Keith Herrington »

How does the Sierra 220 gr RN compare to the Hornady 220 grain RN SP?

I have a couple hundred of the Sierras back home and would like to use them.

In my testing the Sierra 220 grain RN SP was not quite as accurate as the Hornady, but I'm still playing with it. 37.5 grains of IMR4350 seems to be what my gun likes but further testing is required.
Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

Keith Herrington

Based on feedback, I've continued to fine tune my match load of the 220 Hornady JRN over 40 grains of IMR 4350. Originally using the CCI 200 (standard) primer the majority of the rounds would go into a very tight group, but with each group there would be rounds straying high and left. I shot a 10 shot group yesterday and 6 out of 10 shot a great group but the other four exhibited this same behavior. About 10 ring size at 100 yards, but the strays bothered me.

img

I then shot the same load but using the CCI 250 (magnum) primer. Everything else exactly the same. The group overall was much more consistent and concentric, but without the really tight groupings I sometimes see with the non-mag primer load. You'll also notice the group printed higher on the target indicating a higher velocity. The lack of vertical stringing also indicates the ES and SD are both lower and more consistent.

img

I suspect the velocity is now a bit too high, and out of the bullet's sweet spot. My next loads will be with 39 and 39.5 grains of IMR 4350 to drop the velocity down a bit. Hoping it will tighten it up even more.

Keith
Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Looks like you're getting there!

Keith Herrington

Went again to the range to shoot at 100 yards. I don't think one or two groups give me a real feel for how the load is doing so shooting it over time will give me a better idea. Shot this 10-shot group today followed by a 5-round group the same size, using the 220 Hornady RN, 40 grains of IMR 4350 with a CCI 200 primer.

img

Went to the range again to verify groups and shot the three you see below. The middle group is the first shot. The upper shot is from a cold clean barrel. The other four went into a 10 ring size group as did the next two groups.

img

I've 20 rounds of this load left so next trip to Fort Meade I'll be trying it out at 200 yards at a SR2 target. Should prove very interesting.
Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I'm thinking pursuit of the fictional Mook Cup will be interesting this year! I don't have time to put the parked Krag into the free floated 92/96 stock to see if it makes a difference. Gotta remember to put that on my list of things to do for next year.

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Thanks guys this answered a lot of my own questions.
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Nice shooting! Are you joining us at Perry in two weeks? I think you'll do splendidly. ;D