Partial Full Length Sizing New Brass

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Parashooter

Re: Partial Full Length Sizing New Brass

Post by Parashooter »

. . .The simplest way I know is to put the brass in a drill using a trim holder (LEE trimmer shell holders work excellent for this). Rotate the brass slowly and heat the neck and shoulder area carefully using a butane torch until the brass starts to change color (remember, never to blue or glowing!). Then I just drop them into a metal bowl and let 'em cool. I've been doing it this way for years! . . .

My way is still simpler (as am I). Just hold case in fingers. If you smell meat cooking, you're getting 'em too hot! :-[

Clcustom1911

Post by Clcustom1911 »

Paul, how often do you anneal? After how many firings, typically? My brass is still pretty new, but I'm thinking ahead. I keep my loads as light as I can. No reason to beat up my rifle or my shoulder.

I do molten salt bath annealing via the " Ballistic Recreations " setup. Salt bath consists of 60% Sodium nitrate and 40% potassium nitrate in a Lee lead melter pot and a steel jig to hold the brass pieces at the correct depth in the liquid hot magma...er... Salt bath :)

Heat to 950*f immerse the neck/shoulder for 7-8 seconds. Pull out, toss into water bucket (beware of steam popping).

I anneal every firing on rifle brass designated for long range accuracy (7mm RemMag and 6.5 creedmoor). Anneal every 3rd firing for other rifle brass.

Griff557

Post by Griff557 »

I have partially 'neck sized' new brass in loading it for the first time, with good results.

I did check to make sure the partially sized cases would fit into the Krag's chamber and allow the bolt to close.

I also trim case length with a Lee .30-40 case trimmer, before loading. This makes for nice uniformity and precise Case Mouths.

I often neck-size my Krag Brass using a Lee Collet Die for 7.5mm Swiss. This only Sizes part of the Neck and is very easy on the Brass. (No pull of an 'expander-ball' through the sized neck).

I use a Lee collet die for my .303 British with good results. I also load 7.5 Swiss but I full length size them and have thought about getting a collet die instead. I emailed Lee today asking if the 7.5 die would work for the Krag and they told me no. So iam wondering how youre doing or what kinda results you get

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Griff557' - Howdy!

I suspect the person at "Lee" did not understand that you meant 'Neck-Sizing' and not 'Full-Length Sizing' and did not give your question the consideration it deserved.

To answer your question, I took a Fired W-W .30-40 Cartridge Case, that has been fired several times. (The inside diameter of the 'fired' case-neck measured .310").

I put it in my .30-40 shell-holder and ran it into my 7.5mm Swiss Collet-Die. The Die was adjusted to De-cap the .30-40 Case, (no lube was needed).
There was no 'ball' pulling through the sized case-neck on the way out of the Die.

Most of the Case-Neck was reformed & the Case was de-capped. The rest of the Case Body made no contact with the Die. (The inside diameter of the Neck now measured .3055" to .306"). The Case-Mouth has a slight 'bell' to aid bullet seating. Easy Peasy!

I took a new W-W Case and 'smoked' the Neck in a candle flame. I ran that case into the Swiss Collet-Die with the same result.

Attached photo shows 'Die Action' (rub spots) on slightly tarnished 'Fired Case', Die Marks on 'Smoked Case', and recently loaded 'Neck-Sized' Case, (180 grain RN Sierra - OAL 3.086").

p.s. - I am blessed that my neck-sized ammo fits most of my Krag chambers, regardless of which one it was fired in.

Note - The photo makes the two 'empty' case-necks look larger than the loaded case. This is an illusion.Image