Sight Caution - Ebay

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
butlersrangers

Sight Caution - Ebay

Post by butlersrangers »

It is not my intent to mess up a current auction, but, I do not want a KCA member to be misled or disappointed.

There is an interesting Krag sight currently 'For Sale' on Ebay. It is not the "1902 Carbine Sight" it first appears to be. It looks to me to be a "Mix Master" of parts. The 'bottom' is an 1898 carbine sight base and the 'top' is the leaf and slide originally made for the early 'rod bayonet' 1903 Springfields.
Springfield did use the early 1903 leaf and slide parts for repairing 1902 Krag sights. However, I think it unlikely they ever re-used the 1898 rifle or carbine bases. The 1898 bases had an elevation curvature for an "abandoned" ammunition loading, that had proved 'too hot', for the Krag.

IMHO - This sight has some interesting parts and may sell for a reasonable price. However, it is not a legitimate carbine sight and should not command a premium price.

Hint: The '1898 sight' and '1902 sight' bases are easily identified by how the spring is anchored to the base. ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Sight Caution - Ebay

Post by butlersrangers »

Comparison of 1898 & 1902 sight bases and springs.ImageImageImageImage

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Don't worry about "messing up" an auction. I do it on Gunbroker all the time, especially if it appears that a novice could be fooled/harmed by an erroneous presentation.

My approach is usually friendly, always so if the mistake appears unintentional, but I have been known to let it all hang out, too! :-)

Responses range from "thank you very much, I did not know" to "go f**k yourself" with everything in between. I could not care less.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The above sight sold for around $158, yesterday. I hope the purchaser knows what he is getting and can utilize the mismatched parts.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Depends on how badly one needed the 1898C base, which is a tough find - few were made, and fewer survived. The leaves were widely recycled of course, but the bases were scrap. There are some who feel that an 1898C sight is right up there with the legendary 1896C.