In search of family rifles.

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Tom Butts
Site Admin

In search of family rifles.

Post by Tom Butts »

Years ago under great duress, I was forced to sell two rifles that belonged originally to each of my Grandfathers. Neither one of them owned but one rifle in their entire lives. Both were sold to an FFL dealer in the Dallas area. Both were in very good condition, and where one is, its my bet the other is there too. I was hoping you could pass on my email to your membership in hopes one might own the US Springfield 30-40 Krag Serial number 193,843 which from my research shows it to be manufactured 1899. It was in very good condition. My mothers father only fired it a couple of time between his acquisition and the early 70s when he sold it to me. I fired it couple of times before having to sell it along with my fathers fathers Remington Model 8 in 35 REM Caliber Serial Number 59250. It was un-mistakingly identifiable by his name engraved on the right side of the receiver just under the bolt handle E G ALLEN. My Grandfather Allen never shot the gun which was a gift to him in the early 30s. He gave it to me in the early 70s shortly before passing away. I shot it four or five times before shooting the only deer Ive ever killed.

Im just a retired hospital peace officer, but am willing to pay a $100 for the location of either firearm and an opportunity to try to redeem one and/or both firearms. I understand if someone is so attached that they are not interested in selling and I promise not to be obnoxious, but I would welcome an opportunity to make it work their while to sell either firearm.

Any consideration or suggestion to help locate either gun would be appreciated.

Best regards, John L. Allen, Jr. johnlallenjr@verizon.net cell 214-632-5321

cdagnese

Re: In search of family rifles.

Post by cdagnese »

I'd try the FFL Dealer to check his records, just like the BATF would do. Might be the best bet if you know the date you sold them.