How to tell original parts from aftermarket?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Hep

How to tell original parts from aftermarket?

Post by Hep »

Hi guys
The last couple days I have been pouring over the pages here and have found allot of great info. I first must say a hand full of you guys should get a raise for all the patience and knowledge you put out here! My question is after searching through web sites looking at parts.I find allot of original parts and allot of after market parts offered.With todays machining abilities,how do you know for certain its original? I even found a page where you can purchase a reproduction 96 rear carbine site. Im not looking for one but from what Ive read I will probable never see one in person so I would not have a comparison to tell. Im guessing they must look pretty damn close or no one would buy them (they were sold out) I guess I was asking because I was looking for a original bar and ring,which I found one original for 155$ another for 95$ and a repo for 75$.Sorry if this is a repeat question.There are allot of pages here and I havent got through all of them yet ;)

Dick Hosmer

Re: How to tell original parts from aftermarket?

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Many/most of the phony 96C sights are reworked from the rifle version by thinning the leaf and stamping the different numbers - frequently too hard, so they 'mushroom' a bit. The sighting notch on the slide is filed out, usually poorly. The fakes are fairly easy to spot. Incidentally, the sight shortage is not new, they were scarce in the 1970s. The problem is so well understood that many people just accept the rifle sight as no big deal, especailly since they are indistinguishible from 10' away.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The reputation of the 'Seller' is important. S&S Firearms has been around for a long time and clearly identifies original and repro parts in their Catalog. Joe DeChristopher has been around a long time and sells original stuff. Studying originals, Krag Reference Books, and experience is what it takes to spot if something is real, a copy, or a fake.

Also, check out the KCA 'Main Page' and select the tab marked 'photos'. There is a detailed feature on how to detect faked 1896 Carbine sights.

IMHO - With Krags there are not that many parts that have been reproduced. The problem is guns and parts that are not correct and misrepresented.

Hep

Post by Hep »

Thank you. For the sight question part.I apologize.I have been on the photo page a few times and must of overlooked it. I ordered the Poyer book and I also found a Krag Jorgensen handbook which I hope will keep me out of your hair ;D I must say the weapon systems of my days in the service seem quite boring compared to research involved here.Maybe in twenty years or so I might be able to help out!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

An Example - Not as advertised!

This 'partial' sight is currently listed on Gunbroker as a "Model 1901 Carbine sight with screws". (It is missing part of its base). The partial base is a Carbine base, however, the sight 'ladder and slide' are for the Rifle version of the Model 1901 sight.

A decent reference book would inform you a Carbine 'ladder' or leaf goes up to 23 (2,300 yards) and does not angle the slide to the left, as it is raised, to compensate for bullet 'drift'.
Joe Poyer's book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", would explain this for about $20, delivered. It's not a perfect book, but an enjoyable start.Image