More Information on the Krag I have

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Thomas

More Information on the Krag I have

Post by Thomas »

A few years ago I inherted the Rifle my father inherted from his father. I was told he bought it as Army suplus for hunting with family. This would have been around the time of World War 1.

On the side plate there is stamped:
U.S.
Model 1896 Springfield Armory 48875.

I have attached some pictures to help.

I do know it is a Krag, Rifle, but I would like more information about it.
Also I would like to read the Field Manual on how to use it.

Thanks.ImageImageImage

Dick Hosmer

Re: More Information on the Krag I have

Post by Dick Hosmer »

The Krag rifle, of Scandinavian ancestry, was the standard US Army rifle from 1892-1903. They saw service in Cuba and the Philippines - a few went to rear-echelon areas in Europe during WW1. They are .30-40 caliber (which is available) and the magazine holds 5 rounds. Yours has had the wood cut back, but restoration (advised, since barrel is unmolested) is very simple and has become almost a cottage industry - new fully-inletted forestocks are about $75. You will also need a hand-guard. Rear sight appears to be original.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Thomas: Welcome to the KCA Forum! That's a neat family heirloom that you have. U.S. Model 1896 rifle, #48,875, was built about December, 1896. It is great that it has been used by three generations of your family. You can certainly use and enjoy it as is.

However, your rifle is one of the very small percentage of Krags that shows up in official U.S. Army documentation.

(per - Springfield Research Services, records research):
Model 1896 rifle, #48,875, was issued in 1898 to Company B, 1st U.S. Volunteer Engineers.

You do appear to have a hand-guard on your rifle, as well as, an original rear sight. The restoration, Dick Hosmer mentioned, would require a replacement forearm section and front barrel-band & screw. (picture attached).
(If you send me a PM with an address, I'll send you some Krag 'instructions').Image

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

HG appears fatally damaged - see Krag 7.jpg.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

It doesn't look too bad in jpg5 I am guessing that it has something to do with the back ground material.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I think you're right - it got buried in the fuzzy swamp!!!! :-)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Thomas: The instructions, I mentioned, pertain to operating the Krag action and disassembly. I will be glad to send you some materials if you PM me an address.
In disassembly, there is a basic caution you should know. Krag wooden hand-guards are fragile and held in place on the barrel by two spring clips. The hand-guard is removed by sliding it forward on the tapered barrel. This requires that you first remove the rear-sight and the stock. The hand-guard must not be 'snapped' off or on the barrel. When reassembling, the hand-guard is slid into position, the rear-sight remounted, and then the stock is put back on. It is wise to store a 'dismounted' hand-guard with a Nickel and a Quarter twisted into the spring-clips.

When splicing on a replacement forearm, the seam is hidden about halfway under the rear barrel-band. (I have done simple splices, by drilling into the stock and new forearm, using a 3 to 4 inch piece of threaded rod for a dowel, and gluing with epoxy 'bedding' compound).
"Parashooter" has provided this helpful diagram in the past, which shows some more refined methods.ImageImage