Restoration Project

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Pappy miles

Restoration Project

Post by Pappy miles »

About 3 years ago I came across a Krag carbine on gun broker for not very much so I picked it up. Always wanted one as I thought the receivers and the way they loaded were pretty neat. I knew I was buying somewhat of a dog as it had a ramp hunting front sight, what looked like a 1902 rear sight and a recoil pad. $300 and not knowing anything about the krags, what can I saw, something about a fool and his money.

Anyway the rifle arrived, the receiver and the bolt were intact, eg no cracks, the rear sight was in reasonably good condition, and the barrel was well used,dark pitted, etc. After joining this site and reading several of the post and articles, I think I really didnt get a carbine, but a cut down version as the barrel was 24 inches. OK, got a cheep rifle, now what to do with it.

I loaded up some rounds, WW brass, cast bullets, lyman 311284, and 20 grains of IMR-4198. Took out to thee range, and once sighted in, I was pleasantly surprised and how it shot. I'm thinking here about a 1" to 1 1/2" inch group at 50 yards. Almost no recoil and the rifle was pleasant to shoot. So I loaded up another 60 rounds and shot it in my clubs M-1 and vintage rifle class. All at 200 yards. after several sighters, finally got it on target and had a ball with it, though I fired a 386 and 1 x (got lucky on the x).

So I'm thinking, restoration project.

I located a stock, another cut down job, but had the butt plate, no cracks or large dings and the sling swivels.
I also found on e-bay a front sight that appeared to be a newly manufacture job, but what the heck, the goal is to get it looking as correct as possible. And found a new barrel form the CMP - Criterion for about $200.

So for about another 350 in parts, think I have what I need. Looked around in the Houston Area where I live, and of all the gunsmiths I contacted, no one would touch it.

Pappy miles

Re: Restoration Project

Post by Pappy miles »

Continued.

So the search lead me to the internet and I found a smith that goes by the name of the old gun doctor. I sent him pictures and got a quote to replace the barrel, attach the front sight,buff out the splotches on the receiver, and re-blue the rifle. Off it went. 4 weeks later I get this rifle back and I'm really impressed with his work.

So loaded up some more and out to the range. Had to file down the front sight some to get it on target and not have the rear sight set at 700 something. Once I got it there, I'm hitting somewhere between 1/2 inch to 1 in groups at 50 yards. I'm like yippee!

Some more research on load combination. unfortunately, I'm out of IMR - 4198 but found some H-4198 and up'd the load to 23 grains. I'm guessing its pushing about 1800 1850 fps still with the 311284.

Shot in the clubs CMP M-1 and vintage match this pasted Saturday. I had an amazing 195-3x at the prone, 92 - 2x prone rapid, (jam on the reload and the panic factor set in but got them all off) a 90 at the siting (not the rifle, this old body with back surgery last summer just didn't let me get into a comfortable position, and my off ul hand was terrible with a 70. But came in 3rd, had a blast, and not bad shooting cast lead bullets.

Now I realize with the parts, the smithing, and the original investment, I have well over a grand in the rifle. but what the hay, it is a hobby, and I have a great shooting what I'd call a replica of a carbine.

When I can find them, I'll post pictures.

Pappy miles

Post by Pappy miles »

here are some of the before picturesImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Pappy miles', welcome to the KCA forum. I'm glad you are enjoying your Krag. Thanks for sharing!

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

It's all about the fun!

Eagle223usa

Post by Eagle223usa »

Pappy, you need to post a pic of the finished rifle!

Pappy miles

Post by Pappy miles »

And here is the finished rifle
Need to get some more ammo loaded and out to the range again. Need to lower the front sight some. At 200 the rear sight is set at the 400 markImageImageImage

Eagle223usa

Post by Eagle223usa »

Very nice work.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Nice looking shooting 'rig'. FYI - Your barrel-band is on backwards. The "U" should be on the right-side of the Krag.Image