Need to identify 1896

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
warbirdfinder

Need to identify 1896

Post by warbirdfinder »

I have an 1896 Krag, serial # 66,273. However it has a 22" barrel and looks like an 1899 Philippine Constabulary model.
On the bottom of the hand grip is an odd cartouche. Would any one know what model this actually represents? Also where would this fit on the SRS list?
Thank you.

butlersrangers

Re: Need to identify 1896

Post by butlersrangers »

warbirdfinder: Welcome to the KCA forum. Please post some photos of your Model 1896 Krag to get more complete information.
I checked the Appendix - 'Serial numbers of known U.S. Krags' in my 2nd edition of Mallory's, "The Krag Rifle Story", for #66,273.

#66,265 was a Model 1896 Rifle issued in 1898 to Co. H, 4th USV Inf. and #66,274 was a Model 1896 Carbine, issued in 1899, to Trp. A, 1st Nev Vol Cav.
"Close" does not mean much! Krags were not built, accepted, or issued in numerical order. Numbered receivers seem to have been put in parts bins and randomly pulled for assembly. Carbines production was done in batches.
So called, "Philippine Constabulary rifles" were built on Model 1899 carbines, with shortened rifle stocks and modified to take a bayonet. Arsenals turned out a similar modified "School Rifle". These authorized arms were crudely copied by private dealers to sell off surplus Krags and cause endless confusion and fraud.

warbirdfinder

Post by warbirdfinder »

Thank you.
Mike

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

warbirdfinder: You mentioned - "On the bottom of the hand grip is an odd cartouche".

I suspect you have the script "P". This indicated the finished Krag passed a function Proof. This stamp is also found on 'trap-door' Springfields.