Help needed on 1898 Krag Rifle

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
KRAG30

Help needed on 1898 Krag Rifle

Post by KRAG30 »

Hello everyone. This is my first post to the forum and I need a little help. I was told that this forum was the place to go for the best help. Anyway, I bought my first Krag Rifle last week. It is an 1898 model with a low serial number of 271663 which is putting this gun around 1900?? I bought this rifle because it's completely identical to another 1898 Krag I have which has been in my family since 1920. (I only took pictures of the new one that I bought because my other one is currently put away in the back of my safe.) Both guns have 22 inch barrels but the confusing part to me is the stock. They both look like rifle stocks but the wood only goes 7 inches above the barrel band then stops. The end of the forearm is rounded and is solid without any type of filler plug like other rifles have. After that, there is the last 5 inches of the barrel showing. In my opinion, it looks like a rifle but short enough to be a carbine. Is there an exact name for these particular versions? I have only seen 3 other guns like the ones I have and they were from pictures on the internet. My family Krag was given to my great grandfather by his older brother when came back from WWI. He used it until 1976 when he passed away. After that, I was given to my father. I finally received it in 2006. Its probably one of my most accurate iron sight rifles that I own. Any help on what kind of Krags I have is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

KRAG30

Re: Help needed on 1898 Krag Rifle

Post by KRAG30 »

I'm trying to take some pictures by I'm having trouble uploading them to the site. I am working on the problem now.

KRAG30

Post by KRAG30 »

I am currently still working on the pictures. However, for some reason my pictures cant be uploaded due to their KB size.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

KRAG30: Welcome to the KCA forum.
I recommend you re-shoot your Krag pics at 3.2MP camera setting or reduce resolution of your pictures. Maximum attachment size is 768 KB on the KCA forum.
KCA members will bend over backwards to help you. Your pictures should show stock forearm tip and front sight in great detail.
Lots of Krag rifle barrels were shortened to approx. 22" and rifle stocks cut-down by civilian owners to make handy hunting rifles. The issue front sight was often replaced with a commercial 'banded' front sight.
(Attached pictures show issue carbine front sight with detached hood/protector and tip of an 1899 carbine stock, with barrel-band moved forward on its spring-retainer).

Cut down rifle stocks will not have a 'band-spring' inletted into the wood. Rifle bands clamp to the stock with their swivel-screw. ImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Krag rear Rifle barrel-band.Image

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

If you can't down size your pictures put them on a hosting site like photo bucket, image shack, etc. and post a link.