New member/ Krag owner refinish or not?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Bill D

New member/ Krag owner refinish or not?

Post by Bill D »

Hello. Bought my first Krag rifle this week. It has an 1896 receiver and a barely readable cartouche. The serial 931xx makes it a M1898. I don't like the red finish and would like opinion on how or whether I should refinish. Want to keep the cartouche though. I believe the rear sight is a M1901 as I found pictures on another website linked from KCA. Unfortunately the M1907 sling was very dry and did not survive dismounting. I've seen single button reproduction slings but like the M1907 style(ideas on where to get one appreciated). Ordered reloading dies today and wonder what 150 grain bullet the reloaders like for shooting paper. No cleaning rods in butt trap. Shoots well.ImageImage

Top Dean

Re: New member/ Krag owner refinish or not?

Post by Top Dean »

Nice Rifle, would like to see more pics of it. I am not a expert on refinishing but, if you try to strip the finish off you may do more harm than good. I believe that the dark red color is correct for the wood used, but yours from what little I can see does have some form of finish on it. To remove the finish, may be able to be done without much work but you have to remember the Cartouche may be damaged in the process. Ask other or wait and see what they recommend, before doing anything.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I would NOT refinish it, period. Some cleaning might well be in order, though. Fill a mayonnaise jar with 1/2 linseed oil and 1/2 turpentine - throw in a good tablespoon of pumice, shake well before each use, and apply with a coarse rag and plenty of muscle. Change rags when they get dirty. Personally, I like the dark reddish color.

Bill D

Post by Bill D »

A couple of you like the red finish. I have never seen a rifle stock this color before. I really like the Boiled Linseed oil finish I applied to a CMP new stock. More pictures ,ImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

My 1898 also has that reddish finish. I thought about refinishing it at one time... but since it has history, I decided to keep it as is.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Best 1907 sling is made by Turner Saddlery. My shooting style dictates a longer than standard front piece. Standard is 48 and I'm up to 54, thanks to a trade I made with Paul, and it still isn't quite long enough to suit me. So someday I'll get one with a 56" front piece.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I'm using a 50" Turner now, and it fits me pretty well. Turner really does have great slings, and their customer service is top notch! I've spoken with Richard Turner many times, and he's always been very patient and helpful!!!

Link for Turner Saddlery is here: http://www.turnersling.com/

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Bill D: IMHO - Refinishing your stock would be a serious mistake and would drastically lower the value and correctness of your Krag. Model 1873 Springfields and Krags, (except the Krags with Italian walnut stocks), normally have a 'reddish brown' appearance and some openness of wood grain.
You might consider fitting and finishing a replica Boyd stock or hunting for a lighter-colored Italian walnut stock.
In my experience, dark Black walnut (with a reddish-brown tint) is the norm on U.S. Service arms. (Two Krag stocks in photo - Italian walnut - top & Black walnut - bottom). ImageImage