Interior barrel dimensions

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
butlersrangers

Re: Interior barrel dimensions

Post by butlersrangers »

Brent: Barrel/Receiver 'index mark' and "P" on barrel are the main markings you will find on a correct Krag barrel. (If these appear on your barrel, it is an altered original Krag barrel).
The appearance and machining of the extractor cut in the barrel breech is also a clue.

ImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'More potential clues' (to determine re-barreled question).

1. Krag Extractor 'claw' may have some wear, but, should show its original shape and angles. A re-barreled Krag is likely to show some re-shaping of the extractor. (Required by #2).

2. Springfield had a way of machining the 'extractor cut' on the barrel breech. This will often be machined differently on later non-arsenal replacement barrels - IMHO.

(Pictures show items as fabricated at Springfield Arsenal): ImageImageImage

Brent

Post by Brent »

Many, Many Thanks!!!!

These are excellent photos and descriptions of what to look for. I will be checking my rifle tonight. I am confident that I will have a definitive answer shortly.

As a person with lots of experience with blackpowder muzzleloaders and BP cartridge rifles, these modern rifles are really a big puzzle to me. But I am working it out with your help.

Thanks

Brent

Post by Brent »

Well, after pulling the stock, I found that indeed, the "P" is there, the witness marks are there on both barrel and receiver though a bit dim to be sure, and then when I get the barrel in just the right light I can see the welded over screw holes for the rear sight. Yes, it has to be the original barrel.

Now if only I can it shooting soon.

Thanks for all your help.

Brent