Interesting Pictures

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
MPF

Interesting Pictures

Post by MPF »

I found this in a small gun shop yesterday and thought the group might find it interesting.

My apologies if it has been posted in the past.ImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Interesting Pictures

Post by butlersrangers »

It would be interesting to know the whole story, as to, how it got there (Puerto Rico) and why it was buried. I am skeptical of any SAW connection.
I don't believe there was any fighting involved in the surrender of Puerto Rico to the U.S. Also, it is a Model 1898 Krag with a model 1902 sight base. Maybe the late model Krag was used by 'Rum Runners' or Smugglers. Maybe an owner was resisting government confiscation.

I seem to recall, last Winter, we had a Puerto Rican member, who found a Krag hidden in the wall of his Grandfather's house. It was hidden to avoid confiscation, IIRC.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

I recognize the sign. The Krag has been hanging there a long time. More than 30 years.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I smell a large gray rodent. Rear sight base was the first thing I noticed.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I don't doubt the story of it being dug up in Puerto Rico. The assumption of it being lost during the SAW is just faulty. (It has a sight base that did not exist until 1902). A civilian owner burying it to avoid getting in trouble, is a possible scenario.

craigster

Post by craigster »

Ah yes, Grundman's in Rio Dell. Three generations, been there since 1936, nice people.